Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience

Does a plea agreement have to cite the correct case to be legal

Customer Question

Does a plea agreement have to cite the correct case to be legal? Can you file a motion to dismiss judgement on a plea that has the wrong case number? no personal jurisdiction? no court authority? Thanks
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
If the wrong case number is on the agreement, but the right charges and right name of the individual, then the court will hold this to be an administrative error (typo) and what the court terms "harmless error" and will merely correct the agreement. In a criminal case, personal jurisdiction is not an issue, if the crime happened in that state/county, the court has jurisdiction and authority. You have a right to have the plea agreement corrected, which would be all the court would do when you file your motion to dismiss because it has the wrong case on the document.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Use of this service does not create any attorney client relationship. Any information provided is not the practice of law but intended to direct you in finding an attorney in your locale.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have met with 2 other attorney's locally on an initial consultation and they have believe it is attackable as the original case was dismissed prior to the plea which included the wrong case #.