Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney with 29 yrs. exp. in criminal law

I robbed a gas station 26 years ago and broke into a house

I robbed a gas station 26 years ago and broke into a house 28 years ago. If I confess to these crimes now what would likely happen to me.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 5 years ago.

Probably nothing will happen to you since, unless someone was killed or a child was a victim of your crimes, the statute of limitations have run on both of the crimes. The Illinois Statute that applies is: 720 ILCS 5/3-5; 5/3-7 and sets out all the statute of limitations as described below.

• 1st or 2nd degree murder, attempt to commit 1st degree murder, criminal solicitation to commit murder, involuntary manslaughter, reckless homicide, treason, arson, forgery: N/A
  • Others: 3 years
  • Extended limitations when: victim of theft a minor or under legal disability, then during minority or legal disability or within 1 year of termination
  • Misconduct in public office: within 1 year of discovery (maximum 3 year extension)
  • Incestual sexual conduct or penetration of a minor: 1 year after victim turns 18
  • Child pornography, indecent solicitation or juvenile pimping of a child, sexual abuse of a minor: within 1 year of victim turning 18 (3 year minimum)
  • Sexual conduct or penetration by professional with fiduciary relationship: 1 year after discovery by victim
  • Hazardous waste violations: 5 year after discovery
  • Criminal sexual assault, aggravated criminal sexual assault, aggravated criminal sexual abuse: 10 years (2 years if reported)
  • Criminal sexual assault, aggravated criminal sexual assault, predatory criminal sexual assault, aggravated criminal sexual abuse, or failure to report those offenses under Abused and Neglected Child Reporting Act: 20 years after victim turns 18
  • Any offense involving sexual conduct or penetration of a minor where DNA profile of offender entered in database within 10 years and victim reported within 2 years (or otherwise within permissible time periods under statute), and offender's identity unknown: N/A

For misdemeanors the SOL is 18 months

Having said that, you should always talk to a local criminal defense attorney before you ever decide to admit to a crime.

I, like the other Experts on this site, am here to assist customers like you. However, we do so in anticipation of being paid for our efforts, just like other professionals do, since this is our livelihood and not a hobby. To that end, I am more than happy to clarify my answer to you and answer any related follow up questions that you might have for the value that you have offered for the question. In return, I ask that you show good faith in compliance with the TOS by accepting my answer, whether the news is good or bad, so that I will be paid for my efforts.