Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

HiM nephew is 26 years old and does not have a drivers

Hi

M nephew is 26 years old and does not have a driver's license (CA). Twice he has been ticketed for driving without a valid driver's license. He is scheduled to go to court next week
March 9 and March 10 in two different courts. He did not get ticketed for DUI although on one of the incidents he was involved in a hit and run-- not his fault-- the other driver fled the scene-- no one was injured.

My question/concern is: Will he face possible jail time for these incidents for driving without a license? He is certain he will. He is scheduled to take a driving exam this week-- will showing the court he has a driver's permit lessen this offense? If he does face jail time could we ask the court if could do community work? Thanks for the help

Yours truly,

Marina
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Ely replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Assuming that he is found guilty and his sentences are to run concurrently, he would be facing any or all of the following:

Probation for up to three years,
Up to six months in the county jail,
A maximum $1,000 fine,
A possible 30-day impound of the vehicle.

(Infraction Vehicle Code 12500 VC)

The prosecutor may agree to reduce the charge in a plea deal, but this is highly subjective and I strongly recommend having counsel represent him, as that would really help to give him an advantage.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work; I receive no credit for my time with you unless you press ACCEPT.

If you still need to clarify something or seek more information, just use the INFO button and I’d be more than happy to follow up to your satisfaction! There is no fee for follow up questions before or after an accept, should you wish to continue in the thread, and I encourage you to do so should you need clarification!

While the legal system tries to be inclusive of every possibility, sometimes, people are morally wronged but have limited legal avenues to seek relief. If so, please understand that this is not the expert’s fault, but the way of circumstance.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus is always appreciated!

You can always request me for a future advice through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=7286322&FID=7 If you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”