Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
10707909

re Nevada sex offender registration required removed I

re: Nevada sex offender registration required removed

I have a relative who is a Tier II sex offender convicted in NV in 1996.

I found some info on the web that says after 10 years he can ask the sentencing district court in Las Vegas to remove that requirement. Since this crime he has been a model citizen. Married, 4 kids, own business, church, no crimes, etc.

Can he be removed from registration requirement w/ petition?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 3 years ago.

Hi

Unfortunately, the Tier II offender must register for 25 years before they can petition the court for relief. A Tier I offender must register for 15 years but may petition after 10 years for relief from registration.

NRS 179D.490 Duration of duty to register; termination of duty; procedure; exceptions.

1. An offender convicted of a crime against a child or a sex offender shall comply with the provisions for registration for as long as the offender or sex offender resides or is present within this State or is a nonresident offender or sex offender who is a student or worker within this State, unless the period of time during which the offender or sex offender has the duty to register is reduced pursuant to the provisions of this section.

2. Except as otherwise provided in subsection 3, the full period of registration is:

(a) Fifteen years, if the offender or sex offender is a Tier I offender;

(b) Twenty-five years, if the offender or sex offender is a Tier II offender; and

(c) The life of the offender or sex offender, if the offender or sex offender is a Tier III offender,

Ê exclusive of any time during which the offender or sex offender is incarcerated or confined.

3. If an offender or sex offender complies with the provisions for registration:

(a) For an interval of at least 10 consecutive years, if the offender or sex offender is a Tier I offender; or

(b) For an interval of at least 25 consecutive years, if the offender or sex offender is a Tier III offender adjudicated delinquent for the offense which required registration as an offender or sex offender,

Ê during which the offender or sex offender is not convicted of an offense for which imprisonment for more than 1 year may be imposed, is not convicted of a sexual offense, successfully completes any periods of supervised release, probation or parole, and successfully completes a sex offender treatment program certified by the State or by the Attorney General of the United States, the offender or sex offender may file a petition to reduce the period of time during which the offender or sex offender has a duty to register with the district court in whose jurisdiction the offender or sex offender resides or, if he or she is a nonresident offender or sex offender, in whose jurisdiction the offender or sex offender is a student or worker. For the purposes of this subsection, registration begins on the date that the Central Repository or appropriate agency of another jurisdiction establishes a record of registration for the offender or sex offender or the date that the offender or sex offender is released, whichever occurs later.

4. If the offender or sex offender satisfies the requirements of subsection 3, the court shall hold a hearing on the petition at which the offender or sex offender and any other interested person may present witnesses and other evidence. If the court determines from the evidence presented at the hearing that the offender or sex offender satisfies the requirements of subsection 3, the court shall:

(a) If the offender or sex offender is a Tier I offender, reduce the period of time during which the offender or sex offender is required to register by 5 years; and

(b) If the offender or sex offender is a Tier III offender adjudicated delinquent for the offense which required registration as an offender or sex offender, reduce the period of time during which the offender or sex offender is required to register from the life of the offender or sex offender to that period of time for which the offender or sex offender meets the requirements of subsection 3.

If you have further questions, you may post them here and i will continue to assist. Otherwise, even if you have a subscription with JA please remember to ACCEPT my answer as that is the only way I can get credit for my time and information in this matter. Thank you and Good luck

Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience: Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.