Nate, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.

What are the legal ramifications of allowing or not stopping

What are the legal ramifications of allowing or not stopping a loved one from committing suicide, specifically in the state of hawaii? My wife is extremely ill, but not technically terminal. She has had a very difficult life, childhood abuse, previous spousal abuse, loss of our son, chronic Chrohn's disease, chronic kidnet disease etc. She is just tired of fighting and living with this constant pain and suffering. I love her with all my heart, and I don't want her to go but I can't ask her to keep enduring this existence just because I'm going to miss her. She is of very sound mind, very intelligent and has thought this through for a long time. She wants me to be with her when she dies, yes that sounds pretty hard. I am only concerned with her desires on this issue. And yes there is a life insurance policy involved. The timing is her idea to be sure that I am "taken care of". I am emotionally confused to say the least, and a friend has warned me about possible legal issues. Can you help with any information?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Nate replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

There is no legal requirement that you prevent a suicide (there are a few requirements for state employees, but not private citizens). However, if you assist in any way, you could open yourself up for criminal prosecution.

Also, most life insurance policies become void if the individual whose life they are tied to commits suicide. Read the fine print carefully in the policy.

I will be happy to follow up with you if you have additional questions. In the meantime, please click ACCEPT so that I can get credit for answering your question.

Nathan Moore