Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.

Im in Georgia. My wife and I were provoked in what turned

I'm in Georgia. My wife and I were provoked in what turned out to be road rage. Young people were tailgating very close then went around, them hanging heads out of windows and one finger gestures. I held up a holstered pistol as to say don't mess. There was 7 in the vehicle, as we found out later. They called 911. My wife and I got arrested and are now facing 7 counts each of simple assault. How much trouble are we in (penalty and dollars) and can we get out of it?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 5 years ago.

I am sorry to hear you and your wife are experiencing this situation. The penalty is up to 1 year and fines of up to $1,000 for each charge.

Normally what happens in these situations, is all but one charge will be dismissed and then probation will be given for the one charge. Your wife may be able to have all of hers dismissed since she was a passenger and did not have the gun.

Under GA law, simple assault is attempting to commit a violent injury to another person, or putting someone in a situation where it is reasonable that they will receive a violent injury.

So you will need to consider pleading guilty to one of the charges, in exchange for all charges against your wife being dismissed.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Unfortunately, she did get the gun but it would have only been visible through passenger window or windshield. How much would legal fees be estimated at?
Expert:  Samuel II replied 5 years ago.

I cannot say what a local attorney will charge you. Though I will guesstimate between $3000 and $5000 for the both.

I suggest you can call(NNN) NNN-NNNNfor a referral service via the Georgia Bar Association. You can consult with local criminal defense lawyers. You should be able to get one to do it for a flat rate, if you tell them you are willing to negotiate a plea and not trial.