LawHelpNow
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
6761470

Is it legal for someone to use my address without my permission

Is it legal for someone to use my address without my permission? If not, what can be done?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thanks for choosing Just Answer®.

I am a licensed attorney and will be glad to try and assist you. To provide you with accurate information, could you please clarify this point:

1. How (in what manner and for what purpose) is this being done (i.e. fraud, etc.)? [Any details you can provide would be helpful and appreciated.]

Once I hear back from you, I will be glad to let you know my answer. There may be some delay as I am assisting other customers or am away from my computer. Please rest assured, however, that I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I just found out today. So far it looks like the person (I also know who the person is) had listed my address as his while looking for a house. I do not know at this time if it was used for fraud or not.

Thanks so much for choosing this forum to pose your important legal question. I will do my best to give you some honest and accurate guidance as I answer your question.

1. I am a licensed attorney with criminal law and consumer protection experience. I will be glad to try and answer your questions. I hope that the following information will be helpful to you, but please just write back if you have any follow-up questions or need clarification on anything after reviewing the following information.
  2. "Is it legal for someone to use my address without my permission? If not, what can be done?" Thank you for writing back with the additional information, which was helpful to my analysis of your inquiry. I am sorry for the circumstances and hope you see this matter resolved appropriately. No, it is not legal to engage in the conduct (regarding using your address while looking for a house) you have described. There are numerous potential violations, but most relevant statutory provisions which come to mind are as follows: (1) Texas Penal Code § 32.51, Fraudulent Use or Possession of Identifying Information; (2) Texas Penal Code § 32.32, False Statement to Obtain Property or Credit; and (3) Texas Business and Commerce Code §§ 48.001, et seq. (521.001, et seq.), Identity Theft Enforcement and Protection Act. In terms of what you can do, the first step is to contact your local law enforcement agency (police department) and share your concerns. In addition, you should contact each of the three national credit reporting agencies and request a "fraud alert" to be placed in your file. Finally, along similar lines, you should carefully review your credit history and other financial records (i.e. bank statements) and report any suspicious entries, inquiries and/or transactions.
  3. I hope that makes sense, but please do not hesitate to write back if needed. I shall be signing off soon to attend to some other professional obligations. Please rest assured, however, that I will be sure to check for any updated posts from you when I return to this online forum. I hope all works out properly for you.

I hope that this information has been helpful to you. If we can be of any further assistance please free to use our service again. Best wishes for a successful outcome.

If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid. This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.

The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using this forum, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created between you and Benjamin M. Burt, Jr., Esq. You should always consult with a lawyer in your state.