Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

Can you do your own NCIC background check online?

Customer Question

Can you do your own NCIC background check online? I have also been told you can go and have gun shop run background. Is this the same thing as NCIC check?

Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 5 years ago.

No you can't do your own NCIC check on line. Their website can only be accessed by Law enforcement personnel, as the material is highly sensitive.

However, you are correct that you can go to a gun shop and they would be required to run a background check on you before selling you a gun. That background check would access the FBI database (NCIC is the FBI database) and would reveal any disqualifications ownership.

If what you want is your entire criminal history and not just whether or not you're eligible to buy a firearm, the reliable way to do that is to get yourself fingerprinted and send away RAP sheet from your state or from the FBI. The FBI will charge $18 and it will give you your record 50 states as well as any federal cases. I have linked you to where you can order the fingerprint kit. It comes in the mail. You get yourself printed, send it in with a $18 money order and they send you back your whole record.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

But wont it show up on gun purchase if any priors show up? I am in a time crunch since seeking employment. I was told something would not show up on record but want to make sure that I am not putting no down and then they find something.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 5 years ago.

Do you have any friends on the police force?

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 5 years ago.

The problem is that any of the quickie background check sources on line use what's public information. And because they go by names rather than by fingerprints, it's just not accurate. Crimes committed by others can turn up in the check, and problems on your own record can go undetected.

The gun check is a great idea, but if what you are hoping not to find is something that would not cause you to lose your gun rights, it's not enough to answer your question. The following people can get your RAPS run in a hurry, but it's not something they customarily do general public:

Law enforcement personnel
The prosecutor's office
Some public defender offices can get you your state record. So can the clerk of the court. But again, this is not a service they offer to the public.
A gun dealer will get you a quick answer as well. Whether it is a complete answer is another matter.

If I knew what sort of a job you were looking for, it might help me to give you some idea of what could be found. , nothing is ever invisible to the government who can ALWAYS see what's sealed or "expunged" to anyone else. If you're applying job with a city, state, or Federal agency or organization, they WILL see your entire record. Ditto, if you're applying license.

A private employer cannot see what's sealed or expunged.

Hope that helps.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

RN at a hospital. they will not fingerprint because all that is taken care of at the state lic level.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 5 years ago.

But do you mean to say that the hospital won't check with the licensing agency? Your profession is a restrictive one, as I'm sure you know, as people in health care, education, law, and in certain financial areas are held to higher standards than are other professions. My instincts tell me that what you say on the application to your employer should match what your licensing agency already knows.