Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
11068102

I recently got a motorcycle my ex boyfriend and I purchased

I recently got a motorcycle my ex boyfriend and I purchased together in my name only, he is no longer on anything. The county in which he lives in is refusing to help get it back. The county in which I live in is states the motorcycle is mine..
Is there a specific question I could help you with?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Does this make it my bike?
Probably. It could be that you are "joint tenants in common" but the burden to prove that is on him since your name is XXXXX XXXXX title the presumption is it is yours.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
why wont the police in his town help me get the bike.
I don't know. They do that a lot because they don't want to get involved. You should be able to file a lawsuit for a "turnover order" and get it heard pretty quickly.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
does that take an attorney to do that
It's not required, but they are very, very hard to do so if you want a real shot at getting the motorcycle turned over you need an attorney.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
there is not an attorney in his county that will work with me, now what. everybody seems to be affraid of this situtation,or him
You may want to try legal aid, or else look for an attorney in another county. Those are really your only options other than file it yourself. You could do that as well in small claims court although they are not easy to do. You may want to go to the clerk's office and see if they have a petition where somebody filed for the return of property and use that as a guide.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The other problem I have been having is when we purchased the bike 4 years ago he made most of the payments the1st year we were together...he then took off with the bike when I was at work after about a year and continued to make payments, the 3rd he used his unemployment checks and last year used the household welfare checks. He went to work in July of last year and " supposedly" got hurt on the job..his last payment was in August of last year
Still, the legal title is in your name although he has a claim that he has equitable title to it.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
please simplify your answer:-)
I'm not sure what part you are asking about.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
could he take me to court and try to sue me for the money he has payed on the bike
Yes, he could try to get a judgment for the money he paid on the bike, although if he gave it to you as a gift then the judge wouldn't be inclined to give him a judgment. He could also sue you to try and get the title signed over to him.