Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
10707909

In Virginia, can a convicted felon currently on parole get

In Virginia, can a convicted felon currently on parole get permission to leave the country on a contractual work assignment?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 3 years ago.

Samuel-II :

Hi

Samuel-II :

It is very difficult to leave the country. First of all, getting a passport may be a problem. Next, most countries do not allow felons to enter and lastly, if you are on parole you need to be supervised. There are interstate compacts

Samuel-II :

which allow for transfer from one state to another

Samuel-II :

but leaving the country would not be permissible.

Samuel-II :

If you have further questions, you may post them here and i will continue to assist. Otherwise, even if you have a subscription with JA please remember to ACCEPT my answer as that is the only way I can get credit for my time and information in this matter. Thank you and good luck

Customer :

ah ok, so if I understand you, is not possible while on probation

Samuel-II :

Are you on probation or parole?

Customer :

I'm on probation

Samuel-II :

You said Parole? The two are not interchangable terms

Samuel-II :

Well, as a felon, you would have a tough time getting into another country

Customer :

oh I'm sorry, I am not aware of the legal difference...my apologies

Samuel-II :

Most countries are not the US and they forbid felons to enter

Samuel-II :

Some even forbid misdemeanor convictions

Samuel-II :

No problem. Most dont understand the two terms

Customer :

oh I see...assuming the country would accept me traveling there for work, what would I need to do here in VA to start the process of inquiry?

Samuel-II :

That's a huge assumption. But you would need to have your probation officer contact the courts

Samuel-II :

and have permission granted via the Judge who allowed the probation

Samuel-II :

You would need to present information from your perspective employer

Samuel-II :

information on where you would be living

Samuel-II :

and how you would be supervised

Samuel-II :

But again, no country is going to allow it.

Samuel-II :

Customer :

ah ok...yes I understand about the assumption but I wanted the information on how just in case...thank you!

Samuel-II :

You're welcome. I wish you the best with this. You can review the American Embassy websites

Samuel-II :

for the country you are considering and it will state what the rules are for a convicted person to enter

Samuel-II :

Customer :

so sorry...my computer crashed! now reading to catch up

Customer :

ok great, I see what information I'd need from my prospective employer...they are in Ireland and an attorney there indicates that it's possible so I guess I'll try my probation officer to see if she can arrange a court date..thank again for your help and insight...

Samuel-II :

That's what you need to do

Samuel-II :

Get the employment information and provide it to your PO

Samuel-II :

The PO can then go to the court and request a transfer.

Samuel-II :

But I gotta tell ya, review the Embassy website

Samuel-II :

and see what it says about those with convictions be admitted into the country

Customer :

oh, it's an actual transfer? ok, I'll check on the embassy website next...didn't realize it was a transfer too...even though I'll be back every few months or so?

Samuel-II :

Some allow it after 3 or 5 years once the total sentence is complete. Others don't allow it at all

Samuel-II :

Right. It's really Ireland you need to worry about.

Customer :

oh ok...so my sentence is complete after the probationary period ends and it's Ireland, not VA...ahhh, goodness I had "assumed" this all wrong :) I'm glad I asked you

Samuel-II :

Well, VA maynot permit it either. But your chances with VA are better than getting into Ireland.

Samuel-II :

Canada for example

Customer :

oh gotcha..2 pronged hurdle

Samuel-II :

precludes anyone with a DWI from entering

Samuel-II :

Right. Both ends need to agree.

Customer :

wow, and interestingly enough, that's my charge

Samuel-II :

I see.

Customer :

or conviction, I should say

Samuel-II :

I get it

Customer :

trying to be accurate as I know I'm talking to an attorney :)

Customer :

from your experience, does the terms of the work contract matter? I have a good deal of flexibility regarding when I'd be back here in the states

Samuel-II :

So to recap - review the website of the Embassy. Get the employment committment in writing. Present the infomation to the PO

Customer :

ok, I got it and I will do that...my prospective is aware of my situation so I can get that from them

Samuel-II :

Oh yes. I highly doubt Ireland will allow you in and out.

Customer :

oh wow...alrighty then, I think I have what I need to take the next steps

Samuel-II :

Any other questions?

Samuel-II :

Customer :

nope, thanks!

Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience: Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.