Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by West

I am being sued for stealing money from a joint bank account

I am being sued for stealing money from a joint bank account by a gigolo living with my Mother-in-law. My Mother-in-law went to the bank with her daughter, my wife, and set up a joint account to keep this live-in gigolo from capturing more of her money. Subsequently, my wife transferred the money, $63,000.00, to her personal account, The gigolo went to the bank with my Mother-in-law to withdraw all of the funds and found that only a minimum amount was still there. They closed the account and proceeded with a law suit. What is my wife's liability?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Roger replied 3 years ago.

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Criminal Law attorney here to assist you.

If your wife is a joint account holder, she has a much right to the money in the account as her mother.

If she's just an authorized signer, she doesn't have the right to access the money except for the use by the mother.

What is her status on the account?

Edited by Kirk Adams on 2/2/2011 at 2:24 AM EST
Expert:  Roger replied 3 years ago.
I'm sorry - I don't know why this posted on your question. It's an answer to a totally separate question I was working on. Sorry.
Expert:  Roger replied 3 years ago.

If your wife is a joint account holder, she has a much right to the money in the account as her mother. However, if she's just an authorized signer on the account, that's a different story. She can't use the money unless the mother approves it.

What's her status on the account?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry, but the bank account was a simple checking account that was closed and the funds transferred to the new joint checking account with my Mother-in-law and my Wife. My Wife then trensferred to funds to her checking account. The gigolo is now tring to capture these funds. Is my wife liabiale for the funds transferred out of the joint account.
Expert:  Roger replied 3 years ago.

If she was an owner of the account, she has just as much right to the money in the account as the mother. Also, the boyfriend has no grounds to do anything about this. The mother would need to file any claim regarding this.

If she took money out of the joint account that she owns, I don't know how that would be illegal or wrong.

Roger, Lawyer
Experience: BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by West