Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney experienced in criminal matters, having represented hundreds of clients with every misdemeanor and felony imaginable.
18210975

HI - I would like to host a community competition with an entry

HI - I would like to host a community competition with an entry fee and cash prizes. Contestants would be given a list of clues to local businesses or sites of interest. The contestant completing the competition the fastest and most accurately wins a cash prize. Is this considered gambling? What if I charge a flat fee for food / refreshments, and $0 for the scavenger hunt? Thanks

Michael J, Esq. :

Hello - Thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to helping you with your criminal problem today.

Michael J, Esq. :

That type of setup doesn't appear to conform to any of the punishable offenses listed here. My suggestion would be to contact the chief of police/sheriff and/or a local attorney if you're worried about it. Remember that although it may be technically illegal, it is the police/sheriff's who have to arrest you for it. If they okay it , it sounds like you would be in the clear.

Michael J, Esq. :

Good luck!

Michael J, Esq. :

I wish you the best of luck in 2011! Don't forget to press ACCEPT if my Answer was helpful. If you need me to clarify my Answer or ask a follow up question, just ask! My goal is to provide an outstanding Answer, so give me a chance.

Regards,

Michael

Customer :

Thank you Michael - The link did not work for me, but I assume that it is intended to take me to gaming related offenses. Correct? If so, I'm all set, and will contact my local police chief.

Michael J, Esq. :

Yes, that was what it was.

Michael J, Esq. :

Let me see if I can try it again.

Michael J, Esq. :

Here is the link again.

Michael J, Esq. :

Don't forget to ACCEPT if I have been helpful. Thanks.

Customer :

The new link worked for me - Thanks