Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

In regards to a federal inmate, what is a tort lawsuit and

In regards XXXXX XXXXX federal inmate, what is a tort lawsuit and what is the process of filing one?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 years ago.
A tort suit is one that an inmate files for some type of damages they have suffered against them from members of the prison. The process is that the inmate, if they do not have a lawyer which is highly recommended, would have to go to the prison law library, which they are allowed access to, and there are form books there as well as other inmates well versed in helping other inmates draft the complaints and also the "pauper's affidavit" (which allows them to file without fees in the federal court). The prisons all have a process to file these suits for inmates with the clerk of courts as well.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What is the statute of limitation for filing a tort lawsuit by a federal inmate who's health has been permanently damaged due to medical neglect in Florida?
The statute is 3 years from date of the actual neglectful act.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is it possible to for him to get an extention of some kind? If so, how would he go about doing that from prison?
He will not get much of an extension if any unless he can prove his medical condition completely prevented him from filing. He needs to get himself to the prison law library, he knows he has access to it by law and there are plenty of people in the prison library who will actually assist him in drafting everything he needs.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Once he has completed this process, will an attorney be assigned to his case being that he can't afford an attorney himself?