Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor

Is it illegal for a person to read private email when they

Is it illegal for a person to read private email when they have been filed against in a federal lawsuit against there company? The email address was a seperate address from the business email account. The business email account resided on their servers but not the private email account. They used the private emails against our company in the lawsuit.

your thoughts advice

Thanks

Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will be glad to help you.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

A software company I formally worked for has filed a federal law suit against the development company who owns the code.The company I worked for was the sales and marketing arm for this UK company in North America. I was also a director of that company. The Uk company had breached many aspects of its contract with us. The UK company was taking over by an investor who cut us off from sales and communication with the UK company we had been working with for over 6 years. Since our email addresses we company emails, they were on there servers. Once our lawsuit was filed our emails were cut off and I established a new email account.

Part of there cross claim shows emails from my new private email account, with person name who has read them and being sent to the new CEO. They are trying to use these against my former employer. However , my question is , did they confiscate those emails illegally?

Thanks

mike

Let me make sure I understand the facts correctly. This company that is suing your company had been taken over and had access to your private email because they were kept on the companies servers?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hey Alex,

Our company is suing them in New York Federal court . Once we terminated our licensing agreement with the UK company, our business emails were turned off by them. Subsequently, I obtained a new email address, that was a personal email address, nothing to do with them. However, I was still using the same computer I did use when working with the UK company, which was mine , not owned by them. They were able to read my personal emails which they have included in there counter claim against my former employee. Our lawyer is working on having those thrown out of there cross claim. My question is, did they read my personal emails illegally and if so, what recourse do I have?

Thanks

How did they gain access to your email?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

They had access to our computers which we thought was terminated. They could have gained access prior to the server exchange to ATT, which I now have my account with. The account I had with sbcglobal.net was my private email before I signed with ATT. The private emails they read were on my sbcglobal account not the business email account. In my opinion, they had no right to read my private emails especially after I terminated my contract with them. The dated emails show proof of that. In summary, they still had access to my computer, without my knowledge and read my private emails to use in the lawsuit.

hope this helps you.

Thanks

What this would really come down to us whether this company has hacked into your private email accounts or gained unauthorized illegal access in some other way, shape or form.

If it can be proved that this company has hacked into employees private email accounts this action can also be classified as criminal and can be prosecuted under state and federal law.

If the company had access to the accounts, then the question would come down to whether there was any expectations of privacy by the employees and how reasonable that expectation was.

If you are satisfied with my answer, I would appreciate if you would click on the accept button.
Please keep in mind if you already made a deposit or on a monthly subscription plan you will not incur any additional charges, but I will only be compensated for my time and effort only if you click on ACCEPT.
Bonus and Positive Feedback are always appreciated. Thank you and good luck!

Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience: Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor