LawTalk, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years legal experience
15277592

I am a convicted (3rd degree) felon-just the one felony DWI

Customer Question

I am a convicted (3rd degree) felon-just the one felony DWI 2004. I have been hearing a large # XXXXX conflicting information regarding my question. Single shot shotgun for home protection exclussively? A bean pellet gun? A taser? Having paroled to a relatively rough neighboorhood which is in my opinion 1) the norm and 2)a situation under which if one were trying to start afresh it might behoove him to want to try to accumulate a few possessions (such as this computer I just bought today) and Feel the right to have at least some chance to protect his things-some of which he may be able to better himself-educate or perhaps run a business from home. I am on disability which I was recently awarded and would just like to have a LEGAL means to protect my home possessions cat and self. I am in no physical shape to do any of these things at least till I have surgeries
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 years ago.
No, you have been hearing some pretty bad information if they are telling you that you can have any weapon as a convicted felon. The federal and state laws prohibit convicted felons from possessing any weapons. Texas defines dangerous weapons as even BB guns, pepper spray and knives. Thus, the only way you can get a weapon would be that you have to get a pardon with full restoration of rights from the governor's office.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My understanding is now essentially that I can be victimized by any scumbag in the neighborhood who happens to pass by and see that I have a few nice things- my only recourse being to call the cops and hope for the best. Have I about got this right? Even pepper spray or a baseball bat used in defense of self or property by me (the convicted non-violent felon) would only create more legal troubles for myself? No I am not satisfied. My intention,however, is to pay the fee. I would like some more information, though. I would like some more options, perhaps contact with another expert. Also,should I ultimately end up paying the fee I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to use a different credit card as the info I gave was my mother's card and I have recently received one of my own.
I never said a baseball bat was prohibited. I have given you what the State of Texas defines as "dangerous weapons" and the Texas law says convicted felons cannot possess a dangerous weapon. You don't have to like it, but that is the law and nobody put you in this position but yourself and that is where you should direct your anger. However,, I am going to opt out an maybe some other expert has more for you.

Edited by PaulMJD on 2/7/2011 at 1:30 PM EST
Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 years ago.

Good morning,

While I do empathize with your situation, your previous Expert was 100% correct. The law does not allow felons of any sort to possess dangerous weapons---for any reason.

If you are caught with one, it is a federal crime for which you can be imprisoned for 5 years or more, depending on your prior criminal history.

Because your previous expert was spot-on in his answer, you should, under the Terms of Service of JustAnswer, Accept the Answer provided you.

I wish you the best in 2011.

Doug