Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Knowledgeable in the subject matter.

i got a dui back in january of 09.i told my lawyer i needed

Customer Question

i got a dui back in january of 09.i told my lawyer i needed it dropped to a lesser offense so i could join the pipefitters union.the last time i was in court was aug5.i read the paper in oct and they had a true bill returned on me for lawyer had told me i didnt have to be back in court till dec17.he had someone fill in for him on oct8.after i called his office to find out why i read that in the paper they sent me a letter.along with the letter was a waiver of right to be present fpr arraignment which they wanted me to return asap.i had not seen one of these and didnt sign it.he told me he would talk to the da and try to plea to first offense.i never herd back til dec16.he called me asking how we was gonna win the case.he said the da wouldnt take a plea.he then called the da and they said they would drop it to 2nd but if i decided to take it to trail they would revoke my bond and i would remain in jail till my court date.i asked how they could throw those other charges in after so long.he said he would argue that point but the judge could charge me with 1st but sentence me for the question is has my lawyer failed to represent me fairly because i feel iv been hung out to way off worse now than i was.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 5 years ago.
my question is has my lawyer failed to represent me fairly because i feel iv been hung out to way off worse now than i was.

Your question is difficult to answer without actually reading your court files and what the DA has said. Unfair representation under the TN professional responsibilities laws means your lawyer has failed to competently represent you. Competence means keeping you upto date with your case, representing you at court and having adequately prepared for your case. It does not mean guarantying you an outcome that you want.

Below is the TN rules of professional responsibility. If you have grounds to support claims that your attorney has failed to comply with the rules, then you can argue that your lawyer failed to competently represent you.

Please click accept, and I can help with further questions if you have them.

Please Note: is a public forum. is not a law firm. is only a question and answer site. Asking a question does not create an attorney-client relationship nor is your question protected under the attorney-client privilege. An attorney-client relationship is established when you enter into written contract for representation and pay a retainer directly with the attorney or attorney’s firm. uses the term “Expert”. I do not hold myself as an expert when I answer your questions. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given.

My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. You can always request me through my profile here or beginning your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.