Barrister, Criminal Defense Law
Experience:  14 years practicing criminal defense.

Hey there, dumb question. But i just remembered i relieved

Hey there, dumb question. But i just remembered i relieved a jury summons about a month ago ( a friend at work was talking about it and it reminded me) I had taken the letter with me, opened it in my GFs car and tucked it away, i needed to call in in a few weeks, that date has come and gone now, and i can't find the paper work in her car. What do i do, will i get in trouble in 6 months at some traffic stop, or will the police show up at my door in 6 months?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 3 years ago.

Although the court has the power to hold someone in contempt of court for failing to appear for jury duty, depending on the judge, they may not act on it. I would suggest contacting the county clerk via phone and telling them that you just realized you missed the date and ask them if a bench warrant has been issued. If so, you will need to contact an attorney to talk to the judge to see if he can get the judge to recall it and convert it to a show cause summons where you would appear and explain why you missed court. The judge may yell at you a bit, but it is unlikely that he would throw you in jail since you are the one coming to the court instead of being arrested and brought in.

.

.

thanks

If I have answered your question, PLEASE CLICK THE GREEN "ACCEPT" button NOW, so that I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are optional and greatly appreciated. If you need additional clarification on this question, just click "Reply" and I will be happy to help you. Please give me as much detail as you can so that I can respond after receiving all the relevant details.

Barrister, Criminal Defense Law
Experience: 14 years practicing criminal defense.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i sadly don't even remember the court, i assume its my local county court. How often do things like this get prosecuted? Do they not need to prove you received the summons? Mail gets lost often.
Expert:  Barrister replied 3 years ago.

It would be the court in the county where you reside. That is where they pull the jury pool from. To be perfectly honest, I have seen judges issue show cause summons to people who fail to show, but not warrants.

.

Since it was mailed to you, you could contact the court clerk and explain that you just "found" the letter and after reading it, realized the date had passed and were worried.

.

But if they haven't sent a summons within a couple weeks of missing the date, they probably didn't do anything about it. You should definitely still check though.

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Criminal Defense Law
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yeah, 3 weeks havent heard from them.
Expert:  Barrister replied 3 years ago.

No guarantees, but I wouldn't be too nervous at this point.

thanks