Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

This question regards evidence held in a criminal trial and

Customer Question

This question regards XXXXX XXXXX in a criminal trial and property insurance law in California. I was assaulted in 2005. My attacker is facing a life sentence. He has pled insanity and waived his right to a speedy trial. He had my gun when he was arrested. The charge involving the gun is unlawful possession by an ex-convict. He is facing 6 other felony charges.

Can the police keep my gun as evidence indefinitely? Do I have any rights vis-a-vis getting it back? If it matters, this model cannot be replaced: it is no longer being made.

Could I claim it as a loss against renters' insurance (I have had renters insurance continously with the same insurer since 2004 to the present)? I did not make a claim in 2005 because technically the gun was recovered by the police and I was told it would be returned to me after the trial. It appears there may never be a trial: the man is repped by a neverending rotation of public defenders. Each time his case is turned over, the PDA asks for more time, another mental exam (which invariably 1 of 3 MDs finds him unfit for trial).

Thank you for your time.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
The police and DA can keep the gun until the trial and appeals are over, which in a case like this could mean indefinitely. You can seek to get an attorney and a court order to release the gun to you (which will be unlikely unless they find him permanently incompetent to stand trial) or you can seek to claim it on your insurance.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.