JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.
14211116

Hello, can my girlfriend get very upset with nice text messages,

Customer Question

Hello, can my girlfriend get very upset with nice text messages, because she is no longer in love with me, and wants to get rid of me, despite my efforts to reconcile. Can she call the police and ask them to give me a restraint order? What can the police do if she decides now to call 911 and ask the police to teach me a lesson?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 3 years ago.

JB Umphrey :

Thank you for using JustAnswer!

JB Umphrey :

Anytime a person says that you are to not contact them, you must respect it.

JB Umphrey :

Otherwise you can be criminally charged with telephone harassment.

JB Umphrey :

Yes, there can be a restraining order issued.

JB Umphrey :

Yes, the telephone company can cancel your account.

JB Umphrey :

Yes, you can be criminally prosecuted and convicted.

JB Umphrey :

No means no. There can be severe consequences for not respecting it.

JB Umphrey :

Good luck and best wishes for better days ahead.

JB Umphrey :

I hope that you find this information to be helpful and this answer to be ACCEPTable!

Customer :

Is there a phone number I can call you? i am in a laptop that belongs to the company I work for

JB Umphrey :

Sorry but that is not possible.

Customer :

Ok. I sent a Happy New Year Message, 3 hours later the police knocked at my door

Customer :

I did not know it was for me

Customer :

and i did not open the door, because I was afraid of what was going on

JB Umphrey :

Those circumstances do not change or affect the original answer(s).

Customer :

If the police came it is because there is a restraint order against me?

Customer :

I heard later on, I woke up with noises outside mt window

Customer :

that the police was looking for me

Customer :

They were knocking at my door, looking for me

Customer :

The police did not wait for me to wake up

Customer :

nor broke in my apartment. I am scared

JB Umphrey :

It's not possible to speculate the purpose of the officer's visit.

JB Umphrey :

Stop trying to contact her in any way, shape, or form.

Customer :

The neiborgs asked if I was a criminal

Customer :

and I heard that this is a harrassment case to a executive

Customer :

I just did. I am so surprised. He never answered my texts. So I assumed it was ok.

JB Umphrey :

I am not sure what additional information you are seeking.

Customer :

The police before leaving said. He knows if he contact him he(me) will be arrested

Customer :

I am afraid of what is going on

Customer :

Do I need a lawyer at this point?

JB Umphrey :

I do not have a crystal ball for you.

JB Umphrey :

The facts that you've described suggest that you just need to stop.

JB Umphrey :

No attorney is needed at this point, from what you've described.

Customer :

If I open the door to the police will they arrest me?

JB Umphrey :

There's no way for me to know.

JB Umphrey :

Again, I do not have a crystal ball.

Customer :

can i be arrested for what crime? If there is a restraint order issue, I must go to the judge and if I violate I will go to jail. But at this point what are my risks?

JB Umphrey :

It is not possible to speculate if you have any risks at this juncture.

JB Umphrey :

You do not even know what's going on because you have not spoken with the police.

Customer :

But I heard from the window and they said I was really a woman, because I did not open the door. I did not know they were after me

JB Umphrey :

That doesn't matter.

JB Umphrey :

You did not talk with them so you did not learn any information.

JB Umphrey :

Now you just want to guess about stuff and that's not being realistic.

JB Umphrey :

If you wanted to know what was going on, you could have answered the door.

JB Umphrey :

You choose to not answer the door.

JB Umphrey :

That's your choice.

JB Umphrey :

So, now, the only thing you can do is just stop.

Customer :

I was scared.... never thought it was for me

JB Umphrey :

Well, the event is over and done with now.

JB Umphrey :

Leave it alone and move on.

Customer :

I am not a criminal, police looks for criminals in my mind

JB Umphrey :

If I have answered your question, you can select ACCEPT to close this thread and so that I receive credit for assisting you tonight.

Customer :

So, you are saying let's say its a 911 call complaining about my texts and saying it is a harrassment. The police came at 3AM, left just before 5, and did not wait for me to wake up. There is a chance that the event is over?

Customer :

Sorry, you are my only contact...

JB Umphrey :

Yes, that could be possible.

Customer :

Ok. He is the fact. This person uses the police to break past relationships when the other side is still in love... So, I guess I am worried too much...

JB Umphrey :

Stop the contacts and all should be fine. Move one.

JB Umphrey :

Move on, I mean.

Customer :

I just realized all this time, he was lying to get my text messages, he gave me hope I would come back and bum surprise, police on you.... I stopped and he is past. I say I will face the police if they come back again.

Customer :

Thanks

JB Umphrey :

You are most welcome.

Customer :

bye

JB Umphrey :

Have a good evening.

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above. Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.

Edited by JB Umphrey on 1/3/2011 at 2:24 AM EST