Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience practicing attorney
3396227

Can we get a hold of a public defender right now -- Sunday

Can we get a hold of a public defender right now -- Sunday night at6:30 p.m. in Lakewood, Colorado. This is in regards XXXXX XXXXX with a 15 year old boy who has been in trouble with the law three times this week. Do we have to wait until Monday?? We need answers NOW. thanks
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 6 years ago.

Dear JACUSTOMER - Only the court can appoint a public defender so you will have to wait until the court is open tomorrow morning and request an attorney. I have no idea whether the boy is incarcerated or what the alleged crimes may be but until you can get before a judge you will not be able to have a PD appointed to represent him.

The court will likely first have to investigate the boy's parents financial situation to see if they qualify for legal assistance. Once that determination is made then the lawyer will be appointed. Even if you could get a PD tonight I know of nothing he or she could do to help the boy until the court is open. A lawyer has no power to force the police to do anything so you would need an order from a court.

Dave Kennett