Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

Hello my story is to long to type it, please give me call I

Customer Question

Hello my story is to long to type it, please give me call I really want to explain it trough the phone my son is in mafia danger. my phone # XXXXX
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 3 years ago.

Experts at JustAnswer are not allowed to contact customers by phone or email. All communication must be here on this public website. If you type a reply here and tell me your question, I may be able to help you. Please do not use any names or details that will identify you and your son by name, as this is the internet.

If you don't want to post your question, you can contact customer service for a refund.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello. I have a lot of problem with my son. We came to USA, Michigan from Russia in 2005. My son at that time was only 20 years. When he got job in restaurant, even he didn't speak English yet, he got new friends. And the bad thing start from that they. My son got a lot friends because he start new life, want to have lot friends to learn language, one time one of his friend told him, that in his house there will be a party. And he invite my son. When my son went there, there wasn't anyone, no party nothing, he asked his friend may be it was surpise, but his friend said that they're in a nother place. His friend said don't buy bear,or any kind of alcohol, just came to somewhere( i don't know where they actually got meat), and meet girls have fun. My son went there, his friend ask him for a fever, to go some where else and to buy cigarets,(his friend said that, just ask them and thej now what kind) my son went to that place ( he thought it's a gas station or so, but it was private place, and as he told me, there was a lot of scary faces, looked like a mafia, and there was one police women. Then he said that he need cigaret, they gave him, Cocaine. He got scared, and he said to them that it's not a cigaret, they said that that's the one that my son's friend asked for. He took it and bring it to his friend, then when he came to that place to give his friend Cocaine, but his friend all ready went, but the problem part is, his friend called him, and said that my son have to go to restroom, when he went there one scary man (mafia) came there, took that cocaine and gave him money. My son got scared he don't speak English at that time, and he called to his friend and said to him. Where's a party?, What's going on?, Who are those people? You substitude me! That what he said to his friend. And went home. On the way, police stop him, they checked everywhere they found money and asked him something but he don't understood English at that time, and then my son call to his friend, he came there, they fix everything and they went back to place where my son got Cocaine. Police women the one that was in that mafia place, was so good with my son, and she loved him, but hi don't. She always send him lovely messages, trying to be close to him. My son understood that there's something wrong, but it was to late. He even never told that to me i knew about it 2 months ago, and i'm still in shock. In one they send my son to that place to buy some cocaine again, my son said that he don't want to go and be with them any more. But they said, then you'll be in jail, they make him scare. Plus when police stop him, no one knew what was in his car, and of course no one can't stop you to ask how much you have?, they said to my son that he have to listening only them, or the will sue him and put him in to jail, or even kill who knows. They gave him somekind contract to sign, he got scared because he don't understood at that time what was saying in that contract, and the most bad thing he got scared and he sign it! I never know about it, but since i'm mother, i feel that things, he lost a lot of weight, he always busy, angry in depression, never tell me anything, i got scared for him to. One day he said - "Mom help me i'm in Danger", and he explain. But it was all ready late, he sign contract, what was thnere in that contract no one knows. I hired lawyers a lot of lawyers everyone got scared, but they still was helping to protect him, we had a court hearing, when we went there my son was scare to talk even, he was looking on the police mafia women, and on judge. Lawyer who was protecting us, couldn't help us, the mafia's said all bad about my son so he got guilty on everything, we don't know what to do my son still doing everything for them, we scare, Good thing is my son never ever ever took cocaine. Please give as some ideas, what to do, where to get good lawyer, and if there any fees if they will win case, does my son will go to jail?, or is there in deportation?, please help us what to do???
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 3 years ago.

Sorry to hear about your problem with your son. I think I see what's going on here. But before I answer your question, can you tell me:

Was your son ever arrested? If so, what was he charged with?

If you know, is your son's case still open or did he plead guilty to something?

Is his case in state or Federal court? If state, which state?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My son never arrested before, his case is still open, and it's in Michigan state.
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. Your facts were a little confusing because somewhere you said he was found guilty of everything but you hadn't said he'd been arrested.

I think I know what's going on here, but of course I can't be sure from over here. I'd have to see the court papers, which I can't. or talk to the prosecutor, and I can't do that either. I can just go by my own court experiences. I have handled many, many drug cases.

This looks to me like your son got involved with a bad group of people and got caught with them dealing or in possession of drugs. And of course, he did not want to tell you about it. Sale or possession of cocaine is a felony and it is a crime for which he would be deportable if convicted. He can be charged with possession if he was one of several people in the room where cocaine was, even if he never used it himself. He could be charged with sale if he were with the sellers and if it looked like he were part of the group that were in the business.

What police generally do when they pick up someone like your son who has no record is to try to convince him to cut a cooperation deal. He helps the police by pretending to be a drug user or seller and by setting up criminals who are buying and or selling drugs. He would be a police informant, and they usually sign a contract. The"mafia" police woman is probably an undercover officer.

In any case, most defense lawyers don't like cooperation deals like this, because as you see, drug dealers are criminals and can be very dangerous. Sometimes the confidential informants get very scared of the risks that they have to take and they want to back out of the deal they made with the authorities. Since that deal is what kept them from being arrested and prosecuted in the first place, he has a real dilemma. He has to either keep cooperating, which will risk his safety or stop cooperating and risk jail. Jail on a drug felony could mean he'd get deported if the USCIS learns about him or finds out that he's incarcerated.

He will need a good criminal lawyer to renegotiate some other kind of disposition if it's still possible, or to at least offer him some protection and minimize his risk. It's hard for me to say what can still be done, as I have not seen the contract, and your son has not been open and honest with you. (That was probably for your own safety, as drug dealers play very rough).

It seems like you have lawyers who are working on it. The problem seems to be, however, that this deal has already been cut legally. If you need to find a Michigain criminal lawyer, you could get a one time referral for $50 or less with a prescreened member of the Michigan Criminal Bar in good professional standing by contacting the Michigan Bar Association's Lawyer Referral Service. The fee includes a half hour consultation with the lawyer and you do not have to hire him after the meeting unless you want to.

I could be wrong about my interpretation of things, but I don't think I am. The Mafia rarely look to be prosecution witnesses and pretend to be police in courtrooms. His problem is with the state not with the mob, and he ought to be able to get some help.

I wish you and your son good luck.

Edited by FranL on 1/3/2011 at 3:02 AM EST
Experience: Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.