LawTalk, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years legal experience
15277592

I had a 10 milligram Adderall pill in my possetion. Can this

I had a 10 milligram Adderall pill in my possetion. Can this be considerred a lesser offence because of the small dosage?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 years ago.
Good afternoon,

I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma.

The only differentiation between having a small amount of a controlled substance and having a large quantity is that of whether you are charged with simple possession, or charged with possession with intent to sell or distribute.

Mere possession of a controlled substance, other than pot, is a 3rd degree felony.
Under Utah law, felony possession is punishable by zero to 5 years in prison and a fine of $5,000.

HOWEVER, presuming that this is your first offense, you are likely qualified for drug court---wherein you enter a "plea in abeyance", go through a drug program, and upon completion of the program, the charges are dismissed against you---NO criminal felony conviction. here is a great article all about the Utah Drug Courts.

http://www.utcourts.gov/drugcourts/

I wish you the best in 2011.

Thank you very much for having allowed me to assist you. Please, remember that I only receive credit for helping you when you Accept my answers. Until then your payment is simply held on deposit. Subscription customers incur no additional charges by Accepting. So, please click the ACCEPT icon. Thanks again.

Doug