AlexiaEsq.
AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney
Experience:  19+ Years of Legal Practice in Criminal Law.

my brother and were arested on the 23 of dec for trans of drugs

my brother and were arested on the 23 of dec for trans of drugs on I 5, they questioned us gave us a ticket you can't even read the info on. when released and got our vehicle we couldn't find the regestration or insurance paper work. we went back to the sherifs office, who sent us to the CHP office. while there the watch comder contacted officer Cheivers who was the aresting officer,he told him it was in the cooler part of the counsel.i then asked what happens now, i was told that we would be contacted by someone, iv'e had no contact from anyone. I'm pretty scared right now,don't know what i'm suppose to do
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  AlexiaEsq. replied 3 years ago.
Hi, I'm so sorry you wrapped up in this trouble.

With regard to your post:

I suspect the charging paperwork is in the works, and holidays have slowed things down a bit. However, now is the time to keep quiet and hire your criminal defense attorney. You want him on board as soon as possible, so that when you are alerted to your first court date, he can demand discovery, which will tell him if he can get these charged dismissed or downgraded. There may be a suppression issue, where certain evidence can be kept out of any future trial, so that your chances of dismissal or amended charges (or winning at trial) are far greater. While you do not have charges in hand now, I'd figure out WHO I will be using when they are served on you, so he is ready to help. That may mean getting your financials together so you can pay him, be that by your own savings or loan, etc. You do NOT want to use a public defender if you are hoping for a dismissal or terrific plea arrangment. Do not forget that the PD is paid by the state and works daily with the prosecutor.

Good luck. Once you get a strong and experienced fighter on YOUR side, you will feel much relief that you are doing all you can for yourself.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i'm under the impression that calif. can not afford to keep non violent offenders in jail could i hope for a deal to stay out of jail like probation the people that lost what i had may want retribution i may have to dissapear for my family sake. scared bad

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
what if we unkowingly missed a arainment date because you can't read it on the ticket can or should i contact the court and reschedule or what
Hi again,

i'm under the impression that calif. can not afford to keep non violent offenders in jail There are many non-offenders in jail. However, it is true that if this is a first offense and you otherwise have a clean record, with proper counsel, IF you are convicted, you may be able to get a suspended sentence with probation and fine.

could i hope for a deal to stay out of jail like probation the people that lost what i had may want retribution i may have to dissapear for my family sake. scared bad Ah, yes, you decided to play with fire and you got burned...almost everyone does, but still people choose to play this game...That being said...Yes, get an attorney and seek a deal.....perhaps turning coat on the bigger fish can get you somewhere....

And, yes, you need to call the court and see if there is a court date....asap. If you don't and don't show up, there will likely be a warrant out for your arrest....

Good luck. Kindly click accept if we've addressed your original noted question, above.

AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney
Experience: 19+ Years of Legal Practice in Criminal Law.