LawTalk, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years legal experience

Hi, What will be the poosible effect on Immigration for

What will be the poosible effect on Immigration for a 18 month probation and anger management classes for Domestic violence. I prefer to depart the country for good but iam not sure if that is the option now.

Probation sounds to me scary ...can you please suggest if there is a way that i can have my attorney focus on to get a better deal without landing in prison and leaving the US.

Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 years ago.
Good morning,

I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma.

Probation is not a big deal. Generally, for a first offense of domestic violence---and presuming that you did not cause serious bodily harm or death, you will be placed on probation, you take an anger management class and promise to be good during probation. Domestic violence is not a crime which will benefit you if you are looking for permanent residence status---rather t is a negative.

If you wish to voluntarily depart from the US, and avoid the trial and sentencing, that is possible as well. You will need to speak with a local immigration attorney to discuss that matter.

I wish you the best in 2011.

Thank you very much for having allowed me to assist you. Please, remember that I only receive credit for helping you when you Accept my answers. Until then your payment is simply held on deposit. Subscription customers incur no additional charges by Accepting. So, please click the ACCEPT icon. Thanks again.