Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor

i was arrested for a felony ( possession with intent to deliver

i was arrested for a felony ( possession with intent to deliver ) , how long do i have to wait to own and go hunting with my 30-30 rifel ? thank you xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 3 years ago.

Alex Esquire :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will be glad to help you.

Alex Esquire :

Are you online with me?

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Are you under indictment or have you been formally charged with a felony?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i was arrested in pa 15 years ago , did my time . i was caught with my hunting rifel by state police and arrested last week for having a firearm on me , that is after the state of pa gave me a hunting licence

Were your firearms rights restored in Pennsylvania?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

im not sure , i never owned a gun besides a hunting rifel

Were you arrested and charged in Federal or state court in this last arrest?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no , im out on an unsecured 10.000 bail

I understand that you are on a personal recognizance bond. But were you arraigned in state or federal court?

Edited by Alex Esquire on 1/2/2011 at 8:14 AM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
im not sure what your asking me , but i didnt go to court yet
Unfortunately the fact that you were issued a hunting license does will not help you in this situation, as all it means that you paid for a right to hunt, it does not clear you to own or possess a firearm. Also not being aware of the a law prohibiting you from owning any firearm would not be a valid defense in your new criminal case.

Anyone who has been convicted of a felony is banned by federal law from ever possessing "any firearm or ammunition." Specifically a person "convicted in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year" cannot possess any firearm in any location. 18 U.S.C. 922(g) is the federal law that prohibits anyone ever convicted of any felony to ever possess any firearm either inside or outside of his home. The federal punishment for felon gun possession is up to 10 years in prison.

Federal law provides significant penalties for felons in possession of weapons, unless the felon has his rights restored by the convicting state.

This is a serious felony charge that you might be facing with potentially lengthy prison sentence and the government in my experience has been enforcing this law very aggressively and to the full extent. I strongly suggest that you consult a local criminal attorney as soon as possible and do not make any statements to anyone until then.

If you are satisfied with my answer, I would appreciate if you would click on the accept button.

Please keep in mind if you already made a deposit or on a monthly subscription plan you will not incur any additional charges, but I will only be compensated for my time and effort only if you click on ACCEPT.

Bonus and Positive Feedback are always appreciated. Thank you and good luck.

Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience: Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor