JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.
14211116

My son was charged with a misdemenor crime and failed to appear

My son was charged with a misdemenor crime and failed to appear at his hearing in Santa Barbara County CA. Santa Barbara issued a warrant for his arrest. I had to post bail for $2500.00. He was charged with

Charges: PC853.8 41800 HS M

He has a court date on 1/7/2011 at SB Muni Court. What is he being charged for. He is 18 and a student at Santa Barbara City College
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 3 years ago.

JB Umphrey :

Thank you for using JustAnswer!

JB Umphrey :

I am sorry to learn of your family's circumstances.

JACUSTOMER-yhoa9s3o- :

Thanks..Just dealing with a 18 year old. Looking for advice on how to proceed with his case. I do not know what he is being charged for

JB Umphrey :

The only way you're going to find out is by going to the court and reviewing the court file.

JB Umphrey :

That information is not available online.

JB Umphrey :

You'll have to go to the courthouse and ask to review the file.

JACUSTOMER-yhoa9s3o- :

Based upon the codes I provided can you let me know what he is being charged with under CA Penal Codes

JB Umphrey :

Since he's 18, you do not need to go to court with him.

JACUSTOMER-yhoa9s3o- :

IYes more for support

JB Umphrey :

Each court uses different sets of numbers/codes.

JB Umphrey :

There's no universal offense index with shared numbers.

JB Umphrey :

It would seem to be that he would be able to give you an idea of what happened.

JACUSTOMER-yhoa9s3o- :

So the State of CA has multiple codes that apply for different Counties?

JB Umphrey :

Actually, each court can vary.

JB Umphrey :

There is a difference between a statute number and an internal court offense code.

JB Umphrey :

It can all depend upon how the court has set up its electronic case management system database.

JACUSTOMER-yhoa9s3o- :

Okay..so at this point since he has missed his first court date. He was arrested. Released on bond which I posted. I would assume this would be pre lim hearing

JB Umphrey :

Most likely an arraignment.

JB Umphrey :

Or a pre-trial.

JB Umphrey :

If he can resolve it on his own, that's fine.

JB Umphrey :

If he is confused in court on 1/7, then he can ask the court for an adjournment so that he can hire an attorney to assist him.

JB Umphrey :

Good luck and best wishes for better days ahead.

JB Umphrey :

I hope that you find this information to be helpful and this answer to be ACCEPTable!

JACUSTOMER-yhoa9s3o- :

So should I retain an attorney or let him go to his pre trial. I belive he was setting a pice of furniture on fire and was not arrested just given a ticket

JB Umphrey :

That's a personal decision that only you/your son can make.

JB Umphrey :

The site rules of JustAnswer don't allow me to give advice.

JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience: Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.