JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.
14211116

MY STEP DAUGHTER HAS SIGNED HER FATHERS NAME TO 15 STUDENT

MY STEP DAUGHTER HAS SIGNED HER FATHERS NAME TO 15 STUDENT LOANS WITHOUT HIS CONSENT MAKING HIM A COSIGNER FOR OVER $80,OOO. SHE CANNOT POSSIBLY PAY THESE LOANS, NORE CAN WE. WHAT TYPE OF SENTENCE WILL SHE GET WHEN WE SIGN THE PAPERS TO PURSUE THE FREUD CLAIM?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 3 years ago.

JB Umphrey :

Thank you for using JustAnswer!

JB Umphrey :

I am sorry to learn of your family's situation.

JB Umphrey :

It is not possible to speculate what any sentence would be.

JB Umphrey :

At this juncture, it's not even known if the DA will even authorize charges. Or, if so, how many and how what nature.

JB Umphrey :

And then if it gets that far, it's not known if your daughter will plead, go to trial, or what the results of either avenue will be.

JB Umphrey :

15 separate signatures, however, is quite significant.

JB Umphrey :

It's not like this was a one-time whoops.

JB Umphrey :

There's also the unknown if this will be prosecuted locally by the county officials or if Sallie Mae will referral to the U.S. Department of Justice for federal prosecution. The difference can be night and day.

Customer :

IS IT TRUE THAT ONLY THE PERSON WHO HAS HAD THE FREUD COMMITTED AGAINST THEM CAN FILE? COULD AES TAKE IT UP OR SALLIE MAE?

JB Umphrey :

There's no way for Sallie Mae to prove it without his cooperation.

JB Umphrey :

If he doesn't cooperate, then he's saying it's his signature and, thus, he's legally responsible for the loans.

JB Umphrey :

He can't have it both ways.

Customer :

THERE IS ALSO THE ISSUE THAT SINCE SHE HAS BEEN DELINQUENT ON MANY PAYMENTS, HIS CREDIT SCORES ARE SUFFERING, THUS HE HAS TAKEN OVER THE INTEREST ONLY ARRANGEMENTS TO STOP ANY FURTHER DAMAGE. WILL THAT RUIN OUR CHANCES OF HAVING HIS NAME REMOVED AS COSIGNER?

JB Umphrey :

It doesn't help matters.

JB Umphrey :

But it has no affect on the true legitimacy of his signature.

JB Umphrey :

(or the forgery).

JB Umphrey :

Good luck and best wishes for better days ahead.

JB Umphrey :

I hope that you find this information to be helpful and this answer to be ACCEPTable!

Customer :

APPARENTLY AES AND SALLIE MAE BARE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ACCEPTING OBVIOUSLY FORGED SIGNATURES AS HIS...WE HAVE THE CONTRACTS NOW AND EASILY ONE CAN SEE THE DIFFERENT SIGNATURES EVEN FROM #1-#2 OR 3 04 ETC.

JB Umphrey :

They do not compare them upon receipt.

JB Umphrey :

They assume all received signatures or authentic.

JB Umphrey :

That is true for all lenders.

JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience: Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.