JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.
14211116

hello. my name is aaron. in 1997, i was convicted of a misdemeanor

hello. my name is XXXXX XXXXX 1997, i was convicted of a misdemeanor charge of domestic violence in batavia, ohio. i have attempted to speak and obtain the service of attorneys there to apply for an expungement. i was told that ohio state laws prohibits any domestic violence charges to be expunged. no attorney would even talk to me much or at all. some told me that i'm clearly wasting my time. i've alwaysa wanted to work in law enforcement and this keeps me from doing so. i can't even purchase a firearm for home or hunting. i have no felonies and nothing more than a moving traffic violation or in my lifetime. i got wind of a possible "presidential pardon". my questions are, would my misdemeanor dv charge apply to a presidential pardon? if not what can i do, if there is something that i could possibly do legally to retify this. i've always wanted to be in law enforcement but can't chase my dream because of this past lingering over me. i no longer reside in the state of ohio after living there for 7 years. i now reside in my birth state of Ga, the Atlanta area (Douglasville). what can i do? any suggestions.

JB Umphrey :

Thank you for using JustAnswer!

JB Umphrey :

I am sorry to learn of your circumstances.

JB Umphrey :

To seek a presidential pardon, one applies through the U.S. Department of Justice.

JB Umphrey :

However, a presidential pardon is only available for federal convictions. It is not available for state court convictions.

JB Umphrey :

This is explained here: http://www.justice.gov/pardon/pardon_petition.htm

JB Umphrey :

Good luck and best wishes for better days ahead.

JB Umphrey :

I hope that you find this information to be helpful and this answer to be ACCEPTable!