How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 7280
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in criminal litigation including several years as a felony prosecutor
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been charged with a assault4 apa in clackamas oregon.

Customer Question

I have been charged with a assault4 apa in clackamas oregon. I have no priors. I have a 9 year old daughter that I have 1/2 time and a mortgage that my small business as a hairstylist supports. What am I facing?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thanks for choosing Just Answer®. I am a licensed attorney, and I will be glad to try and assist you.


To provide you with accurate information, could you please clarify these points so I can best address your inquiry:


  1. Can you tell me a little bit about the allegations? What did the alleged assault consist of?
  2. Do you have an attorney, whether private or public defender (PD)?



Once I hear back from you, I will be glad to let you know my answer. There may be some delay as I am assisting other customers or am away from my computer. Please rest assured, however, that I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Did you receive my earlier response? I am not sure that I answered on the right space... Basically, we had a very emotional night fueled by alcohol and apparently I crossed the line in the view of police. I repeat : I have no prior and am a professional, 49 years of age and parent my 9 year old 3-4 days/nights a week (sat.through tue. evening). I am afraid that I may lose my freedom, scare my child and lose everything. Please tell me tat this is not as serious as it sounds. We both were drinking, the topic of discussion got taken out of control and I am scared, disgusted at my stupidity and afraid that she may be as vindictive as she is manipulative. I am sorry.
Expert:  Joseph replied 6 years ago.

I have some good news for you, assault 4 is a misdemeanor offense, the lowest level of criminal offense in the state of Oregon. As such, and with your lack of a criminal history, you should be facing some fairly light penalties.


One thing you may want to check into is the possibility of a diversion program. Such programs are usually offered for low level offenses where the defendant has little to no criminal history, such as your situation. Diversion programs typically have you complete some penalties, such as community service and anger management classes, in exchange for a dismissal of the charges.


If you are interested in retaining an attorney, you should begin with your state bar association. The Oregon State Bar has a website, it is located at


I do not know your county of residence but your county bar association likely has a similar site that will be more specific to your location.


Additionally, Martindale Hubbell is a national organization that rates attorneys across the country. Their website is located at


Another nationwide website is located at This site lists attorneys by geographic location and area of practice.


Each of these resources will have a wealth of information as to attorneys in your area that handle such cases. I would suggest you check each site out and you will surely find a great number of attorneys that meet your needs. Pick a few to meet with in person so that you can thoroughly explain your situation and then retain the one that you feel can best represent your interests.


If you can't afford an attorney, you may qualify for a public defender (PD). If that is the case, simply go to your arraignment date and let the judge know that you can't afford an attorney. The judge would likely ask you a few questions about your financial situation and then make a determination as to whether you qualify for a PD.


I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on the green ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click ACCEPT. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck!


Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.

Related Criminal Law Questions