Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

My 16 year old son was sentenced to go to the states correcti

My 16 year old son was sentenced to go to the states correctional institute in Mandan ND . I was informed that he would be going to the Dakota Boys Ranch after his time at YCC. I was also informed that his social security check would be transferred to the Boys Ranch. I was wondering why the state wouldnt be responsible for the cost being this was a state, court ordered decision. I still pay my sons medical expenses and his insurances and maintain a home for him to come back to. This would definetly present a huge financial hardship for me and my family. Is this correct or is there anything else to do about this?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
Unfortunately, the law allows that a defendant can be assessed the costs of their incarceration if they can afford that cost. If he is receiving SS then that is for his care, not for you to pay other expenses, so the court can indeed order the check be sent to the facility for his care or to defray the cost of his care. You could get some relief from the court for the money you pay for his insurance and medical care, but not for keeping the home up for him to come back to. You would have to file a motion with the court that sentenced him for a waiver or relief for the medical insurance/care costs.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
In addition To my sons entire social security check of $1276 a month, I was told by my sons case worker that I would need to pay child support for my son while he is at Dakota Boys Ranch. My only income is his twin sisters socialsecurity check of $1275 per month. Can this be done?
This is something that you can appeal, since the SS is used to offset the support payments. You need to contact his lawyer and get them to file a motion to the court to get the court to order that only the SS check for him is used.