Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience practicing attorney
3396227

My brother pleaded guilty in Texas for attempted sex with a

My brother pleaded guilty in Texas for attempted sex with a minor (class A felony) and received a 3 year sentence - incarceration began March 2010. He will be paroled April 2011 and there are several parole restrictions on his parole notification, including one simply labeled "X - other". His parole notification also indicated he is "low risk" for repeat offending.
How can I find out the specific details on all of his restrictions, most notably the "X" item, prohibited internet, and electronic monitoring before he is released? His Goodman Unit parole supervisor simply told him he'll get the details the day he is released, from his Parole Officer, yet these restrictions will greatly impact where he can live and work. We're already trying to find him work and waiting until the day he gets out is highly frustrating. Is there a website somewhere that has these details so I can start addressing them now?
Simply emailing me a weblink or pointing me in the right direction would be sufficient and greatly appreciated. I've already written the Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles to no avail, receiving a standard form letter indicating he should talk to his Goodman Unit parole supervisor (dead end). It appears the Texas court system purposely tries to make it impossible for a convicted sex offender to re-enter society and become a productive member of society, even when they are a first time offender and low/no risk to repeat.
Thank you for your time.
Leslie Mullins XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 3 years ago.

Dear JACUSTOMER - The problem in cases like this is that you are not a lawyer and cannot legally represent your brother with respect to his case so the typical reaction is to dismiss any request you may make. I certainly understand your concerns and I understand why you want the information.

Letters and phone calls and websites are probably not going to result in any satisfactory results since they can easily be ignored as you have seen. My suggestion would be to see if you can get a face to face appointment with someone at the parole office and explain why you need this information. If your brother has been assigned a parole officer then a face to face appointment with the PO would certainly be a great idea.

You may get nowhere since there is no duty for them to even talk to you and in that case the only other option would be to hire legal counsel to act on your behalf. Typically a parolee will receive the instructions prior to release. I don't know if he will be required to live in some type of half way house before a complete release but if so then that is where the rules will be handed out.

You are certainly correct that it is not easy to reenter society so your brother is lucky to have someone like yourself who is willing to assist. Eventually you will get the information and then you can assist him in getting reestablished. The problem at this point is that you have no legal right to get anything so you just have to keep trying to get to the right person for the information. Personal contact is always the best means to achieve the best results.

Dave Kennett

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the quick response, but I need more information. I find it difficult to believe there isn't a website or other source for finding the definitions and standard terms of Texas parole restrictions, regardless of the case. These can't be secret ??

Instructing me to meet face-to-face with his Parole Officer or Parole Supervisor is not an option. I live in Kansas City on a very modest income and he is in the Houston TX area. I've already asked my brother to find out who is PO will be, but his Parole Supervisor indicated he won't know that until just before he is released.

While I'm grateful for your responsiveness, your response leaves me equally frustrated, but now facing the prospect of paying $58 for something I already knew.

Can you please dig a bit deeper and find a source with generic definitions and terms for Texas parole restrictions? Thanks

This is the only website I can find for the guidelines of the Texas Parole Board and I have listed it below. Every inmate has different circumstances so all you are going to be able to find is the general terms and not something specific to your brother. I would assume he will have to remain in the state of Texas after his release so I'm not certain how you are going to be able to make any arrangements in MO for him to work or live.

There may be some specific restriction imposed upon him that are not listed in the guidelines and that is why I suggested trying to meet with his parole officer if possible. Obviously I had no way of knowing you weren't in Texas. You can still try to see if you can reach the PO by phone once his or her identity is known. That will be the person who your brother will have to answer to so I would think that would be the best source for obtaining the necessary information.

Once someone is paroled the most important thing is to guard against any relapse so knowing the rules is very important. While the internet is a great tool I believe we have become so reliant upon it that we feel everything can be learned from that source. In some cases the personal contact is still very important and I believe this is one of those cases. Whatever you learn on line may not necessarily pertain to your brother's individual case so you cannot depend on its reliability.

Dave

http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/bpp/new_parole_guidelines/new_parole_guidelines.html

Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience: 25 years experience practicing attorney