How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience practicing attorney
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am being charged with Burglary and aggravated burglary

Resolved Question:

I am being charged with Burglary and aggravated burglary when my landlord locked me out of house after I informed her on September 12th 2010 I could no longer afford to rent the place I was trying to be kind and give her the heads up now on September 17th 2010 I am going to get my stuff with a uhaul and she sends me a text message saying she has locked the house basically she wanted to keep my appliances and my wife said no. I go back on the 29th of September forced my way in and took my appliances and I got and indictment last week don't know what if any thing I can do?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 6 years ago.

Dear Customer - There's nothing you can do at this point and you shouldn't do anything but keep quiet and get a lawyer. If you cannot afford a lawyer the court will appoint one but you definitely need to be represented by counsel. The landlord violated the Ohio Landlord Tenant laws by locking you out but that is a civil offense rather than criminal so it didn't give you the right to break in.

You will need to plead not guilty and allow your attorney to talk to the prosecutor to see if the charges can be reduced and to also make certain all of your rights are protected. Do not talk to the cops or anyone else regarding your case until you have talked to an attorney. If anyone asks you for information just say you want to talk to an attorney first.

Dave Kennett

Dave Kennett and 6 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Criminal Law Questions