TexCrimLawyer, J.D.
TexCrimLawyer, J.D., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in state and federal criminal litigation.
45002201

i have a friend in jail that is an illegal immagrant. he is

Customer Question

i have a friend in jail that is an illegal immagrant. he is in jail for a dui. what will happen to him?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  TexCrimLawyer, J.D. replied 6 years ago.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

It depends. If the jail discovers the fact that he's illegal, they could call ICE who could come pick him up. However, many jails don't call ICE.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

My recommendation would be to post his bail as soon as possible. ICE will only put a "hold" on him while in jail. If they do that you won't be able to bail him out.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

If, however, you bail him out before they get an ICE hold, they'll let him go and it is very unlikely that ICE will come get him.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

The reality is that most courts deal with illegal immigrants on a frequent basis and if the person only committed a misdemeanor, they typically don't get deported.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

I hope that answers your question. If you have any questions in the future, you can request me specifically. Good luck to you and your friend.