JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.

I won a civil judgment in the amount $6,000 in small claims

I won a civil judgment in the amount $6,000 in small claims court against a thug by the name of Joey Flowers. I just found out via a friend that he was recently incarcerated in the State of California for a 8-year prison sentence. I contacted the local DA office and got a lot of help and assistance in trying to collect this judgment. The representative wants to give this a try and said to send a certified copy of the minute order letter. This thug had supposedly won a million plus lawsuit and hired a high powered attorney that reduced a possible life term to only 8 years. Can I still collect if he is working in prison and they are paying him? Or, do I need to focus on the instructions the courthouse gives regarding judgments?

JB Umphrey :

Thank you for using JustAnswer!

JB Umphrey :

Yes, you can collect if he's working and being paid. It's just another wage garnishment - except this one is directed to his employer: the state.

JB Umphrey :

Good luck and best wishes.

JB Umphrey :

I hope that you find this information to be helpful and this answer to be ACCEPTable!