Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

clearing non-violant felony-(buying auto parts) off my record

Customer Question

clearing non-violant felony-(buying auto parts) off my record .No trouble before or after(approx. 1978) The Vought Air-craft gave a secret clearance for working on classifed missles and parts.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 3 years ago.
Jacustomer,

If you were convicted of a non-violent felony in Texas and if you received it was a deferred adjudication ending in the dismissal of your sentence after probation, and you meet the other statutory conditions listed in section 2 of the link below, you can apply to get your Texas record expunged. Otherwise,Texas will expunge convictions which have first been pardoned by the governor.

Here is the Texas Expungement Law. If you are eligible, the link will explain how you would have to proceed in section #5. You would have to petition the court. You would not need a lawyer to file for an expungement, if you were comfortable doing your own paperwork and appearing in court on your own behalf. There are, however, lawyers who specialize in expungements and pardons.

If it turns out that you don't meet all of the conditions necessary for an expungement, then you'd have to apply for a pardon. Getting a pardon is very difficult, but if you have been out of trouble with the law since 1978 and even were given special clearance at one point, you would have a much better chance than most to obtain one. Once you were granted the pardon, you could then go back and petition the court for your expungement, for which you would then be eligible. You could do this yourself as well.

The Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles screens all of the applicants for pardons for the governor. I have linked you to their site where you can find more information and downloadable forms.. No lawyer is necessary. The pardon doesn't erase your conviction but it is official recognition from the state that you've turned your life around. So it's worth having even if should you decide not to bother with an expungement.

Good luck!
Experience: Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
can i vote with these prior convictons
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 3 years ago.

I am sorry for the delay. I have just finished eating my dinner. But I do have good news for you. Quoting directly from the website of the Texas Secretary of State's website:

"Convicted Felons and Voting

In Texas, a convicted felon regains the right to vote after completing his or her sentence. Therefore, once you have completed the punishment phase (including any term of incarceration, parole, or supervision, or completed a period of probation ordered by the court), you would be eligible to register and vote in the state of Texas."

Best wishes for the new year.