Thoreau (T-USA)
Thoreau (T-USA), Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney

I got caught shoplifting at Sears in 1988, I was taken to the

Customer Question

I got caught shoplifting at Sears in 1988, I was taken to the precint and fingerprinted. I got to see the judge pleated guilty and was told not to go back to Sears. Is this considered a misdemeanor or Felony?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Thoreau (T-USA) replied 3 years ago.

Even if you placed a deposit or have a subscription

Thank you for your question!

For minor first offenses, shoplifting in NJ is usually a misdemeanor. However, shoplifting can be charged as a felony depending on the details of a matter.

That said the only way you can know whether your charge was a misdemeanor or a felony would be to evaluate (or preferably have your attorney evaluate) the record of the charge.

Criminal records can be obtained by contacting the Clerk of Court's Office in the county in which the charges took place. Some Clerk's Offices actually publish records on the internet. However, the only way to find out whether or not that service is available is to contact the Clerk's Office and inquire. If records are not online, the Clerk's Office can provide copies.

Alternatively, prosecutor's offices can be very helpful to individuals in determining what they were charged with. A call to the prosecutor's office can occasionally be the easiest way to determine the severity of what an individual was charged with, though the helpfulness of each office can vary.

Please do not shoot the messenger.
If you need clarification, please feel free to ask using the
Reply feature.

Sincerely,

_____________________________________

Disclaimer: By engaging in this correspondence, you agree to and understand the following:
No attorney-client relationship is formed through this correspondence. The following information is provided for educational purposes only and is not legal advice/legal services. Correspondence through JustAnswer is visible to the public and is not confidential.Customeris not familiar with your situation and could not possibly provide legal advice/legal services through JustAnswer. Customerdoes not claim to be licensed to practice law in your state. The information provided in this correspondence cannot and should not be relied on for legal purposes.
If you need legal advice/services you should visit a local attorney as soon as possible. You can find a local attorney using
Lawyers.com, Martindale, a Local Lawyer Referral Service, or a Local Legal Clinic (if you cannot afford an attorney).

Thoreau (T-USA), Lawyer
Experience: Attorney
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
would the records still be available it happened in 1988

Yes. Criminal records don't typically disappear on their own and are available to the public unless they're sealed or expunged.

Please do not shoot the messenger.
Reply feature.

Sincerely,

_____________________________________