Maverick, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years experience

Do you have to commit the same crime to be in violation of

Do you have to commit the same crime to be in violation of probation? i.e. on probation for dui...get a dwlr?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name isXXXXX very much enjoy what I do and I hope that you will benefit from this information.

Staying out of trouble is mandatory during probation. When the defendant commits new crimes during the probationary period, a probation violation may occur. Also, regardless of whether criminal charges are present, when the defendant is arrested during the probationary period, a probation violation may occur. So, it does no have to be the same crime. Under NC law, Driving While License Revoked (DWLR) is a criminal charge that is a Class 1 Misdemeanor with a potential sentence of up to 120 days in jail. See NCGS §20-28.

If you need more clarification or follow up information, please feel free to write back as there is no extra charge. Otherwise, please click on the ACCEPT button. Even if you have put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time unless you press "ACCEPT".

Sometimes the law does not give you the outcome that you may have anticipated. Please understand that this is not the attorney's fault. We are assuming that you are paying for an honest and professional opinion.

Please know that there may be a delay between your follow up question and my answers because I may be helping other customers in the meantime. Rest assured, I will get back to you.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be greatly appreciated!

This information is provided so you may better discuss legal issues with your attorney. Consult a local attorney for legal advice before acting. You may be able to find an attorney in your area to further assist you at or at .

You can always request me for a future question by starting your new question with "This question is for Maverick".

Thank you for the opportunity to assist you.