JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.

my partner is on probration he case was in ohio and was tranferred

Customer Question

my partner is on probration his case was in ohio and was tranferred to pittsburgh, pa.... He had some differences where he lived with one of his parents and decided to obtain a residence with me....He was reporting to the probation officer he was assigned to but at the suggestion of this probation officer he was told to go to a halfway house due to the fact that our present residence was being remodeled.... He was not court ordered to go to this facility but went by the suggestion of his probation officer till our home was ready... Now he was due to be released by 11/22/2010 but got a violation while in the facility for a dirty urine..... my question is he is willing to go to an outpatient drug n alcohol facility but he was told he had to spend 45 days in the halfway house due to his probation violation does he have the right to request to be released from the halfway house to our residence and do the outpatient drug and alcohol treatment..... because the facilities probation officer he was assigned will not release him does he have the right to leave the facility and be at our residence since this was the only requirement that was told to him by his old probation officer due to the fact that upon leaving his parents residence the probation officer considered him to be homeless although we had a residence.....
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer!

I am sorry to learn of your circumstances. The botXXXXX XXXXXne is that your partner tested dirty. So, in some form or fashion, he will be punished for that violation because that is a violation of his probation -- no matter where he is.

Your partner has zero legal rights which are independent of what the probation officer's instructions are to him. If your partner does not want to follow the probation officer's instructions, then your partner has to go back to court for a sentence review or file a petition for a modification of probation.

Good luck and best wishes for better days ahead. I hope that you find this information to be helpful and this answer to be ACCEPTable!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
so in other word even though he was not court ordered to be in a halfway house they have the right to keep him there even though he was only to be there until our house was finished
This is no longer about him going their voluntarily or being court-ordered.

This is about him testing dirty while on probation and being punished for that dirty result.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
What additional information are you seeking?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Can you please clarify what additional information you seeking in the answer so that it meets the quality standards you are expecting?