Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I have my legal contract in front of me for retaining the lawyer

Customer Question

I have my legal contract in front of me for retaining the lawyer I was referring to. They state that the fee is for representation for violation/modification of probation legal fees in the above referenced case (which states: "Charge is Assault Public officer-Probation Violation). It does not say anywhere here that this is only if my fiance had dealt w/this issue then and there, and they told us by phone that he would be his retained lawyer until this issue was resolved. How can they now say it was only in the case that my fiance turned himself in? If there is nothing in the legal agreement about that then is this attorney legally bound to resolve this with us no matter how many court appearances it takes? Who do I talk to if I have more trouble about this? The attorney's assistant also thought I only had an unsigned copy of the agreement, but I insisted after they sent me an unsigned copy that they also send a signed copy and I have it.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Did you pay the attorney anything yet under the letter of representation? What specifically does the letter of representation say? What is the attorney's office now telling you about representing him?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The entire legal fee was paid $3500 by Joshua's mother. The letter states:
Contract of Employment for Legal Services
RE: State of Texas Vs. Joshua Geist
Charge: Assault Public Servant-Probation Violation
Case # XXXXX
J Michael Priece herein "attorney" hereby agrees to represent Joshua Geist, client, in the above matter in consideration for a legal fee of $3500. The legal fee is for representation for violation/modification of probation legal expenses in the above referenced case and is non-refundable. If this fee is not paid in full, client understands attorney may withdraw rep. of client. This fee does not include a contested revocation hearing, if one is scheduled...then goes on to say other fees not included which are rep before a parole board or an appeal case, these fees would be additional and it states ammounts. Then it goes on to say other fees not included if investigation, photographs, transcipst, witnesses, subponeas are needed.
It is expressly agreed and understood by the parties that no promises or guarantees as to the outcome of the matter have been made. Attorney does agree to exert his best efforts at all times while representing the client in this case. Dated and signed by the attorney and Joshua, then ammount that was paid and when paid is noted $3500.