Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney experienced in criminal matters, having represented hundreds of clients with every misdemeanor and felony imaginable.
18210975

my house was robbed by two people. i found out who it was,

<p>my house was robbed by two people. i found out who it was, and got proof that it was them. i reached an agreement with both of them that if they paid what they owe me, i would not press charges. now both of them refuse to pay me, and are slandering me. what are my options? also, another person i know robbed one of the people that robbed me, and supposedly threatened their family. they said that i paid them to do this, and now the family is pressing charges, im not sure on who, but i am somehow involved in this.</p><p>what more info is needed?</p><p>i have a letter from one of them confessing and apologizing for the robbery, and saying that he would pay me. it does not specifiy an amount. the amounts with both people were oral agreements, with several witnesses to the agreements (their family). both families will probably deny this. </p>
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Michael J, Esq. replied 6 years ago.

Michael J, Esq. :

Hello - Thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to helping you with your criminal problem today.

Michael J, Esq. :

If you have evidence that these people robbed you, you need to go straight to the police with the evidence and press charges against them. If they are convicted, they will be ordered to repay you the restitution you are owed.

Michael J, Esq. :

I wish you the best of luck! Don't forget to press ACCEPT if my Answer was helpful. If you need me to clarify my Answer or ask a follow up question, just ask! My goal is to provide an outstanding Answer, so give me a chance.

Regards,

Michael

Customer:

is that my best option? one of the people that robbed me is also a minor,how will this effect the situation? and what about the slander?

Customer:

you also did not address the situation of the person claiming that i paid them to rob/harass/threaten one of the families, and charges possibly being filed against me.

Michael J, Esq. :

Thanks. I'll address all that in a moment.

Michael J, Esq. :

The perpetrator being a minor will mean that he is prosecuted in juvenile court. He can still be ordered to pay the money.

Michael J, Esq. :

If the two perpetrators are slandering you, you can file a case for defamation against them. Defamation is when a party makes an untrue statement against you that damages your reputation. To prevail, you would need to prove they lied, and the lie damaged your reputation. I don't suggest going this route. It's expensive, and hard to prove.

Michael J, Esq. :

As far as the charges being filed, there is nothing I can comment about that, because I don't know exactly what happened. All I can say is do not speak to anyone about anything you did. If you happen to be arrested, immediately ask for a lawyer, and they have to cease questioning you. Don't speak to anyone about anything, except a lawyer.

Michael J, Esq. :

Regards,

Michael