LawTalk, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years legal experience
15277592

I am 19 yrs old and I let one of my friends inside the house

I am 19 yrs old and I let one of my friends inside the house through the window without my parents knowing and now my mom wats to press charges on this guy. Can she do that?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 years ago.
Good morning,

I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma.

Press charges for what---trespass? Theft?

Doug
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
He didn't steal anything and I invited him here my parents jus didn't kno that I did because it was really late and everyone was asleep
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 years ago.
Good morning,

The only possible charge that might be brought would be for trespass. However, as you are a resident of the home and your friend came into the home at your invitation, trespass will not be chargeable.

While your mother may be mad, your friend has not violated any laws and the police will not charge your friend with anything. Your mom is making a hollow threat in this case.

I wish you and your friend the best this holiday season.

Thank you very much for having allowed me to assist you. Please, remember that I only receive credit for helping you when you Accept my answers. Until then your payment is simply held on deposit. Subscription customers incur no additional charges by Accepting. So, please click the ACCEPT icon. Thanks again.

Doug

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Will she be able to or can she take this to court
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 years ago.
You asked: Will she be able to or can she take this to court.
No, there has been no violation of criminal law, nor has the friends invited into the home---even in the middle of the night---provide for a civil cause of action. Mom can't do anything.

Please, remember that I only receive credit for helping you when you Accept my answer. Until then your payment is simply held by JustAnswer.com and not shared with me. So, please click the ACCEPT icon if my Answer has been informative, and helpful to your understanding of the law. Thanks again.

Doug