Joseph
Joseph, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in criminal litigation including several years as a felony prosecutor
18539850

Why would I receive a certified letter from the district attorneys

Why would I receive a certified letter from the district attorneys office?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thanks for choosing Just Answer®. I am a licensed attorney, and I will be glad to try and assist you.

To provide you with accurate information, could you please clarify these points so I can best address your inquiry:

• I take it you haven't picked up the letter?

Once I hear back from you, I will be glad to let you know my answer. There may be some delay as I am assisting other customers or am away from my computer. Please rest assured, however, that I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No. I got a certified notice today but have no idea why. Why do they send them out?
Expert:  Joseph replied 6 years ago.

I'm a former prosecutor and, as such, I can tell you that there could be many reasons for sending something via certified mail from the prosecutors office.

The reasons could include that:

• You are being notified of criminal charges and need to appear in court
  • You are the victim of a crime and they desire your input
  • Similarly, the prosecutor wants to know if you are seeking restitution
  • The prosecutor believes you witnessed a crime and they desire to speak with you
  • You are being deposed for some reason and this is your notice of the date and time

Other reasons could certainly be possible as well. Ultimately, the only way to find out is to pick up the letter. While I realize you may not want to pick it up (especially if it's the first reason I provided), it would be wise to pick it up and address the matter. If it is notice of a criminal case, you're better off picking it up as, if you don't, it could lead to your arrest.

I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on the green ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck!

Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.