Thoreau (T-USA)
Thoreau (T-USA), Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney
18048122

I was caught shoplifting at a target store. The detective approached

I was caught shoplifting at a target store. The detective approached me and told me that they have me on cammera doing this before. (once) And told me to never go back and let me go. He went outside and wrote down my license plate. Should I be concerned about the police comming over to my house? I'm scared to death and will never ever do this again.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Thoreau (T-USA) replied 3 years ago.

Even if you placed a deposit or have a subscription

Thank you for your question!

A victim may report a crime to law enforcement, even if the perpetrator has left. However, in many instances, if a crime is going to be reported, the victim may often choose to do so on the spot.

If a victim reports a crime at a later time, the evidence may or may not be as strong. However, the police may still investigate the matter and an individual may be arrested and charged if the evidence supports a finding that hte individual reported a crime.

A defendant doesn't have to say anything without an attorney present. If you are contacted by law enforcement, you will want to have your attorney present for any discussions. Your attorney can work with you to ensure that you don't make any statements which might later be used against you.

Please do not shoot the messenger.
If you need clarification, please feel free to ask using the
Reply feature.

Sincerely,

_____________________________________

Disclaimer: By engaging in this correspondence, you agree to and understand the following:
No attorney-client relationship is formed through this correspondence. The following information is provided for educational purposes only and is not legal advice/legal services. Correspondence through JustAnswer is visible to the public and is not confidential.Customeris not familiar with your situation and could not possibly provide legal advice/legal services through JustAnswer. Customerdoes not claim to be licensed to practice law in your state. The information provided in this correspondence cannot and should not be relied on for legal purposes.
If you need legal advice/services you should visit a local attorney as soon as possible. You can find a local attorney using
Lawyers.com, Martindale, a Local Lawyer Referral Service, or a Local Legal Clinic (if you cannot afford an attorney).

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I was caught shoplifting at target store. The Target detective aproached me and told me that I was caught on tape before. I paid for the items that I had a the moment with me and he let me go saying "do not come back to this or any target store ever again" then he followed me out to the parking lote and wrote my license plate on a piece of paper without my consentment and left. Tha police was not involved. However, Should I be concerned of the police showing up at my door? I'm sacared to death, I don't need to steal anything, I did it for the rush of it. That was stupid, I've done it three times only and I'm DONE.
Please let me know what to do.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm waiting for the answer please....

I was caught shoplifting at target store. The Target detective aproached me and told me that I was caught on tape before. I paid for the items that I had a the moment with me and he let me go saying "do not come back to this or any target store ever again" then he followed me out to the parking lote and wrote my license plate on a piece of paper without my consentment and left. Tha police was not involved. However, Should I be concerned of the police showing up at my door? I'm sacared to death, I don't need to steal anything, I did it for the rush of it. That was stupid, I've done it three times only and I'm DONE. Please let me know what to do.

I responded to your initial question. You asked:
"Should I be concerned about the police comming over to my house?"

When you relist a question, I am not notified. However, your Reply did notify me. If you have follow-up questions, please use the Reply feature so that I am notified and able to respond to you.

I see that you have a follow-up question. However, you merely restated your original question.

What is your follow-up question?

Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My follow up question is, if they decide to report to the police. Do I get a citation on the mail for court, or the police will come to my house?

It would not be uncommon for officers to visit an individual's home to investigate criminal allegations, make an arrest, etc. if a crime is alleged. This occurs on a fairly regular basis when crimes are reported.

Please do not shoot the messenger.
Reply feature.

Sincerely,

_____________________________________

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Should I talk to an attorney locally now? or should I wait and see of they pursue action?

Retaining an attorney before any legal action is sought may not benefit a defendant. A defense attorney can typically only help an individual who is being investigated for or charged with a crime. However, if contacted by anyone regarding an alleged crime, a defendant should have his attorney present for any discussions to protect his interests.

Please do not shoot the messenger.
Reply feature.

Sincerely,

_____________________________________

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My last question is: I'm leaving on vacation in 2 weeks out of the country. Can they prohibit me from traveling out of the States? I'm a US citizen, and traveling for business to south america and Europe. And if they decide to cite me to court and I'm out of the country, would that be a problem?

Until and unless someone has been charged with a crime, he may typically travel freely and do as he pleased. If charged with a crime, an individual can potentially even be refused bail and detained (if the court believes the individual is a flight risk), though that won't usually happen for minor issues.

If the state seeks to question an individual who is out of the country or charge such a person with a minor crime, the state will usually simply have to wait until the individual returns. That shouldn't usually create any complications as long as the person isn't attempting to evade.

Please do not shoot the messenger.
Reply feature.

Sincerely,

_____________________________________

Thoreau (T-USA), Lawyer
Experience: Attorney