RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

Can I get charged with 1st degree burglary, if my relation

Can I get charged with 1st degree burglary, if my relation gave me permission to take cabinets out of there home, in which the home is now in foreclosure.an later they claim i stole them with my boyfriend an i told the sherrif i took them with their permission an my boyfriend did not help me but they took both our shoes because they match the shoe prints can either of us get charge with burglary an i have my relation on a recording devise saying he did give me the cabinets an that he would take care of because he is scare of getting in trouble an what do you recommend me to do towards this situation or how do we fix this problem
Good evening, I don't see how you could be charged with burglary in this situation.

Here is the burglary statute in Iowa:

713.1 BURGLARY DEFINED.
Any person, having the intent to commit a felony, assault or theft
therein, who, having no right, license or privilege to do so, enters
an occupied structure, such occupied structure not being open to the
public, or who remains therein after it is closed to the public or
after the person's right, license or privilege to be there has
expired, or any person having such intent who breaks an occupied
structure, commits burglary.
Also, you don't seem to fit the definition of 1st degree burglary, which is defined as follows:

713.3 BURGLARY IN THE FIRST DEGREE.
1. A person commits burglary in the first degree if, while
perpetrating a burglary in or upon an occupied structure in which one
or more persons are present, any of the following circumstances
apply:
a. The person has possession of an explosive or incendiary
device or material.
b. The person has possession of a dangerous weapon.
c. The person intentionally or recklessly inflicts bodily
injury on any person.
d. The person performs or participates in a sex act with any
person which would constitute sexual abuse under section 709.1.
2. Burglary in the first degree is a class "B" felony.
Clearly, since you did not have the intent to steal the property, you cannot have committed a crime. If the police have not arrested you yet, it is important not to talk to them without having an attorney present.

If you are arrested, the prosecutor's office makes the decision whether to charge you or not. Therefore, do not make any statements to the police while in custody and instead speak with a criminal defense attorney. While I don't believe a prosecutor would charge you here if they are aware that you were given permission to enter your relation's house and take the cabinets, an attorney can negotiate with the prosecutor to have the charges against you dismissed.

I hope this information is helpful. If you have follow-up questions or need additional clarification, please click reply and I will be happy to assist you further.
Remember that the correct answer is not necessarily always the one you may want to read, but it is important that I give you the most legally correct answer for your situation based on the facts you have provided, so please be courteous when deciding whether to accept an answer and when leaving feedback.

DISCLAIMER: This response is limited by the information that you have provided to this lawyer. Based on the information you have provided, I have responded based on my knowledge and interpretation of existing laws. It is possible that if the same question was asked to another lawyer, the response could be different. This response is for "Legal Informational" purposes only and should not be confused with "Legal Advice" and nothing in this response should be construed as legal advice for any individual case. Under no circumstances does this response directly or indirectly, establish or intend to establish an Attorney-Client relationship. This response is not and shall not be construed as a solicitation for the legal services of any attorney. If you have already retained a lawyer in connection with this inquiry and this fact is unknown to this lawyer, this response should not be construed as impending and/or interfering with your attorney-client relationship with such attorney.

This information is limited in scope and is confined to the question asked and should not be relied upon to provide a comprehensive picture of any particular situation and you are strongly encouraged to seek counsel for further course of action, if applicable. In other words, this response is not intended nor shall it be construed as providing you with all the information that your legal questions/issues may require. If you do require legal advice and retention/hiring of an attorney, I encourage you to consult an attorney who is actively engaged in the practice of law in the area of law relevant to your legal questions/issues and who is admitted to the bar or lawyer licensing agency in your jurisdiction(s) or the jurisdiction(s) that has jurisdiction over your legal questions/issues. This attorney is not responsible for any loss, injury, claim, liability, or damage related to your use of this response, whether from errors or omissions in the content of the response or any other sites that I may provide to you for reference.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Can my boyfriend get charged for taking the cabinets and installing them in a home, but when he was questioned by the sheriff he told the sheriff he knew nothing about the cabinets?
If the cabinets were his, he has the right to take them and do what he wants with them, that's not burglary. If he took the cabinets from somewhere else that wasn't his property however, then yes, he could be charged.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I as his girlfriend gave them to him, could he still get charged with something?
Very doubtful. The majority of criminal acts, like burglary require an intent to commit the crime. If he had no intent to commit a criminal act, and had no knowledge of where the cabinets came from, and just put them into someone's home, that's not a crime.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What is the worst that could happen with this situation? Would we have to pay for the cabinets even though my relation gave them to me? They owed me money.
Worst case scenario is that you are arrested -even though you may not later be charged.

Your family member could sue you for the value of the cabinets in court, but then it would be up to a judge to decide whether or not they gave you the cabinets or whether you took them. I
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
will the cabinets be taken away from the new home were the cabinets were install because i made a contract to trade them of for a car an i am in possesion of the car an the trade has allready been made
No, but as I said, your relative could sue you for the value of the cabinets. But, even if successful, all they would get is a monetary judgment, nothing else.