RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

if my fiance comes out january 27 2011 with expectancy of 10

Customer Question

if my fiance comes out january 27 2011 with expectancy of 10 yrs parole will he do all the 10
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 3 years ago.
Good afternoon, thank you for your question.

It's possible that he can get an early release from parole, called a merit termination, between 1-3 years after being on parole. From the New York State Parole Handbook:

Some parolees qualify for a Merit Termination of Sentence granted by the Division of Parole prior to the Maximum Expiration Date of the sentence. This means that the particular sentence is terminated and the parolee will no longer be under the jurisdiction of the Division of Parole.

Generally, non-violent felony offenders who meet the requirements of Section 259-j of the Executive Law may be eligible for a Merit Termination of Sentence. All violent felony offenders, a majority of sex offenders and those convicted of other offenses enumerated in Section 259-j of the Executive Law are not eligible for a merit termination of sentence. Changes in 2004 to Section 259-j, Laws of 2004, Chapter 738, have expanded Merit Termination availability.

Individuals not being supervised in New York State pursuant to the Interstate Compact, and those not eligible for deportation or in the custody of ICE/BICE, are not included. Eligible releasees shall be considered for a possible Merit Termination of Sentence after one year of community supervision. Article 220 Class A-felony offenders may be considered after two years of community supervision.

The Merit Termination of Sentence can be granted only when it has been determined that it is in the best interest of society to do so and that you have made a good faith effort to comply with any restitution order and/or pay any mandatory court surcharge.

Your Parole Officer can answer questions and discuss the particulars of a Merit Termination of Sentence with you anytime throughout your period of parole supervision.

The best thing your fiance can do is make sure he fully complies with all terms of his parole and avoids any further trouble, and then discuss with his parole officer whether he is eligible for early termination.

I hope this information is helpful. If you have follow-up questions or need additional clarification, please click reply and I will be happy to assist you further.

PLEASE HONOR THE HONOR CODE. Please click on the ACCEPT BUTTON for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you-no payment for my time and effort is made until you click accept (even if you put down a deposit or have a subscription). A BONUS TIP is also appreciated. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Remember that the correct answer is not necessarily always the one you may want to read, but it is important that I give you the most legally correct answer for your situation based on the facts you have provided, so please be courteous when deciding whether to accept an answer and when leaving feedback.

DISCLAIMER: This response is limited by the information that you have provided to this lawyer. Based on the information you have provided, I have responded based on my knowledge and interpretation of existing laws. It is possible that if the same question was asked to another lawyer, the response could be different. This response is for "Legal Informational" purposes only and should not be confused with "Legal Advice" and nothing in this response should be construed as legal advice for any individual case. Under no circumstances does this response directly or indirectly, establish or intend to establish an Attorney-Client relationship. This response is not and shall not be construed as a solicitation for the legal services of any attorney. If you have already retained a lawyer in connection with this inquiry and this fact is unknown to this lawyer, this response should not be construed as impending and/or interfering with your attorney-client relationship with such attorney.

This information is limited in scope and is confined to the question asked and should not be relied upon to provide a comprehensive picture of any particular situation and you are strongly encouraged to seek counsel for further course of action, if applicable. In other words, this response is not intended nor shall it be construed as providing you with all the information that your legal questions/issues may require. If you do require legal advice and retention/hiring of an attorney, I encourage you to consult an attorney who is actively engaged in the practice of law in the area of law relevant to your legal questions/issues and who is admitted to the bar or lawyer licensing agency in your jurisdiction(s) or the jurisdiction(s) that has jurisdiction over your legal questions/issues. This attorney is not responsible for any loss, injury, claim, liability, or damage related to your use of this response, whether from errors or omissions in the content of the response or any other sites that I may provide to you for reference.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

his crime was om manslaughter on the 2nd degree

Then he will likely have to do all ten years of parole, because as stated in the parole handbook "All violent felony offenders, a majority of sex offenders and those convicted of other offenses enumerated in Section 259-j of the Executive Law are not eligible for a merit termination of sentence."

I wish I could tell you otherwise.