Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.

My daughter was arrested for DWI (2nd), but has not been convicted.

My daughter was arrested for DWI (2nd), but has not been convicted. She is required to put a breathalyzer in her car as condition of her bond. Her car was totaled (other driver at fault) two weeks later and now she has no car. The arrest occurred on Oct. 17 and her blood test has not come back yet. They are telling her she must install the breathalyzer in her home and blow into it every 5 hours. How is she supposed to go to work on the bus and do this? Can the state of Texas require this?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 5 years ago.
Texas has been allowed to place Breathalyzers on cars as a condition of bond, but if she is not driving and they are requiring her to do this at her home then this seems a little extreme. What it is doing is restricting her liberty without a conviction. If it is appealed it is likely it would be reversed.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.