Joseph
Joseph, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in criminal litigation including several years as a felony prosecutor
18539850

In Stratford, NJ I was given a yellow citation for urinating

In Stratford, NJ I was given a yellow citation for urinating in public that requires a mandatory court appearance. I was wondering how serious these charges are and will they show up on any kind of record? The whole story is that I was a DD for some people at a Halloween party that my medical school was having. One of the students on my student council, as I am class president, got mean with the owner and was being kicked out. So I had to take him home immediately. The police officer pulled me over once because i had to make a sudden right turn as one of the people I was taking home, said "make a right here" very suddenly. I told the officer that's why I made a sudden right and he let me go. Then my friend in the car realized she had left their $200 jacket at the bar. After taking her home first to pick up her dog as she was staying over my house, we went back to the bar. On the way back I got a little turned around and lost and had to go to the bathroom pretty urgently since I had drank about 1L to more of water at and after the party. I pulled over to a parking lot that seemed to have enough cover and urinated behind my car out of sight. The police officer then pulled up when i was getting back into my car, and then gave me a breathalyzer. Unfortunately, I couldn't blow long enough it seems though we tried several times. He then just told me to sit in my car and handed and then handed me a yellow ticket for urinating in public with a mandatory court date. I'm just very worried about this showing up on any sort of public or permanent record as I am in medical school and do not want this to hurt my future or my reputation at school since I am in a lot of leadership positions. What actions should I take? And am I worrying too much?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 3 years ago.

As you can imagine, this is most certainly not a terribly serious offense. While it's difficult to provide a definite answer as to the ultimate outcome, it would be reasonable to expect nothing more than a small monetary fine.

In fact, assuming you have no criminal history, it is conceivable that you could get the charge dropped altogether. Several factors are considered when determining an outcome, these include the person's history, the severity of the charge and the specific facts of the case. In this case, all these factors would appear to weigh in your favor. With that in mind, you should be able to obtain a satisfactory outcome.

Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do you know why they are requiring a court appearance if it's just a monetary fine? That is what I'm most worried about. Yes, I have no criminal history of any kind.
Expert:  Joseph replied 3 years ago.

Does your citation show a specific statute or ordinance number? If so, please provide the entire description.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the complaint number is XXXXX and I think the ordinance number is XXXXX (or 070). He didn't write really hard, so it's difficult for me to make out everything on the ticket.
Expert:  Joseph replied 3 years ago.

It appears you were charged with a violation of a municipal ordinance, not a state statute. It's not at all unusual for a municipal ordinance violation to have a mandatory court appearance. As such, you most certainly should not read into this and you should simply attend the court date and see if you can obtain the favorable outcome we discussed above.

If, for some reason, you can't obtain a satisfactory result at that time, simply tell the judge you want to continue the matter to retain an attorney, the judge should have no problem doing just that for you.

Joseph, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience: I have 15 years experience in criminal litigation including several years as a felony prosecutor