Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  Former administrative hearing officer

i was in a car accident last night. someone sideswiped me.

i was in a car accident last night. someone sideswiped me. i cant remember everything, but there was limited damage and no one was hurt. im not positive but think the other driver kept going, as did i. im now scared to death about leaving the scene. what should i do?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Loren replied 5 years ago.
You can make a report to the police with whatever facts you have. It sounds like the other driver also left the scene. You do not have to say that you left the scene. It is enough tom say that the other driver left smother was no point in you remaining.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
im just not certain, but that is my recollection. What if the other driver did stop and took my liscence plate. i was planning on filling out the accident report with my recollection, but again im not certain and im really worried i made a mistake
Expert:  Loren replied 5 years ago.
Just report the facts you know. If the other driver reported your plates you would have or will hear something. It will be better if you make your own report to get your version on the record.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
last question. the accident was last night when and who would i hear from. what means and will it be swift?
Expert:  Loren replied 5 years ago.
You would get a call from a detective saying he was investigating an accident report. I suspect you would hear within a few days. In any event, get your version on the record by making a report. Do not admit to leaving the scene. As you said, the other driver did not stop, so there was no reason to remain.