Jane Doe Deer
Jane Doe Deer, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney since 1986; Plain English explanations

I have a past employee that has sent in over 30 magazine subscriptions

Customer Question

I have a past employee that has sent in over 30 magazine subscriptions with my name, my husbands name, my managers name and the business name. Is this legal?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Jane Doe Deer replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for contacting Just Answer.

Answer: I switched your question over to "criminal law," but it could also be considered a "personal injury" type of question. It's not "consumer protection" because that is a law consumers use against businesses, for the most part.

What you are experiencing is a form of harassment. Depending on your local police or sheriff's office, they may be willing to have you file a police report (or sheriff's report) complaining of criminal harassment. It'll depend on some factors such as how busy the presecutor's (district attorney) office is where you live.

I doubt, however, that anyone will take this on as a criminal matter. That means that you may have to try to obtain a restraining order on your own, in civil court.

Would you like me to give you more information on what I'm talking about, or are you familiar with the court system?

Just to be helpful (I know you didn't ask) - I did a Google search on stopping junk mail (I need to do this myself!) and found many free services. I have not researched any of these, but here is a sample one that I found:

I'm happy to answer follow-up questions. Just write back!

If you have none, please

"ACCEPT" my answer.

There can sometimes be a delay of an hour or more in between my followup answers because I may be helping other customers, conducting legal research, or taking a break. If we're writing late in the evening, I may need to get some sleep and resume helping you the following morning.

Bonuses of even a dollar are much appreciated and help support this site.

I REALLY appreciate FEEDBACK so that I can continuously improve!

All my best,

Jane Doe Deer