AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney
18048122

Can you be arrested after using a credit card at a massage

Can you be arrested after using a credit card at a massage establishment that has been raided by the police? Can they trace back to you through the receipt? I visited a local place and found out later it was raided by the police, I paid 100 using my card for a 1.5 hour massage and nothing else! Honestly for being an honest person I would hate to be suspected of being associated with such places.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 6 years ago.

Even if you placed a deposit or have a subscription

Thank you for your question!

It's certainly possible that law enforcement could look at a business's entire list of transactions and seek to charge additional people with a crime.

However, the fact that an individual engaged in business with a business that engaged in both lawful and unlawful business may not be sufficient to charge an individual with a crime and, even if it is sufficient to charge, it may not be sufficient to convict an individual.

Realistically, for the most part, if an individual has done nothing wrong, he shouldn't typically worry about being charged with a crime based on mere affiliation with a busines sthat engaged in criminal conduct. The state typically realizes that such organizations often engage in legitimate business as well.

However, if an individual does happen to be contacted by law enforcement and is being investigated for criminal conduct, it's essential that he retain an attorney for any discussions with law enforcement, as even innocent people can make compromising statements.

Please do not shoot the messenger.
If you need clarification, please feel free to ask using the
Reply feature.

Sincerely,

_____________________________________

Disclaimer: By engaging in this correspondence, you agree to and understand the following:
No attorney-client relationship is formed through this correspondence. The following information is provided for educational purposes only and is not legal advice/legal services. Correspondence through JustAnswer is visible to the public and is not confidential.Customeris not familiar with your situation and could not possibly provide legal advice/legal services through JustAnswer. Customerdoes not claim to be licensed to practice law in your state. The information provided in this correspondence cannot and should not be relied on for legal purposes.
If you need legal advice/services you should visit a local attorney as soon as possible. You can find a local attorney using
Lawyers.com, Martindale, a Local Lawyer Referral Service, or a Local Legal Clinic (if you cannot afford an attorney).

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
I see you relisted the question.

Did you have a follow-up question?

If so, what more do you want to know?

Please use Reply instead of Relist. I am not notified of a Relist and you may not get a response if I do not see the Relist.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, I was just wanting to know if you'v ever heard of any cases of LE attempting to arrest customers of said establishments. Honestly I feel paranoid just from the fact that I had visited such a place of bad repute, I think the worst thing I've ever done to this point in my life was not leave my contact info after scraping the door of an individuals car! And also what is your legal history, and how long have you been a lawyer?

I've been licensed to practice in Florida for what is approaching two years, engaging in my own general practice. I am extremely familiar with criminal law, among other issues.

Law enforcement officers don't typically go back digging through a business's records to get people when the only evidence available with which to prosecute those individuals is the fact that the individual engaged in some form of business transaction with another party. This is especially true when the business engages in legitimate business activities as well. That's a little overzealous and it's more likely than not to result in a waste of law enforcement and prosecutorial resources (which can be pretty meager at times). I haven't personally heard of that occurring. However, it is possible.

Please do not shoot the messenger.
Reply feature.

Sincerely,

_____________________________________

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you for your answer, I really appreciate your knowledge on the subject!
My pleasure! I'm glad I could provide some valuable information!

Again, for the most part, an individual shouldn't worry about being pursued if he hasn't done anything wrong. However, if he is contacted by law enforcement, proper representation is very important to ensure one doesn't make a statement that might compromise his interests.

Have a great evening and thank you for clicking accept!

_____________________________________